Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Volume when playing DSD (DoP)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Latest version of LMS, Squeezelite-R2. Flac plays normally but DSD over PCM about twice lower/quieter. Not great when playing mixes or "dont stop the music". Thinking it has to be somewhere on LMS side as Squeezelite gets PCM both when playing flac and dsd. Server and player are on different ubuntu/snakeoil PCs. DSDPlayer plugin has no settings. Any idea where to look?

Thanks!
Roman
Some DACs play DSD at lower volume and therefore you cannot mix DSD and FLAC.
(18-Oct-2022, 05:24 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]Some DACs play DSD at lower volume and therefore you cannot mix DSD and FLAC.

No native DSD in my DAC. Using DSD over PCM. But I still see your point...
(18-Oct-2022, 05:47 AM)RomanM Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-Oct-2022, 05:24 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]Some DACs play DSD at lower volume and therefore you cannot mix DSD and FLAC.

No native DSD in my DAC. Using DSD over PCM. But I still see your point...
Does not matter whether it is native DSD or DOP, some DACs play at lower volume.

For me, I convert all DSD to PCM because I am using Convolution (DSP).  I have thus bypassed all the DSD issues...
From memory DSD is mastered at -6 dB reference level I believe. The upside is this gives better dynamic range, the downside is most CD music is mastered too loud (to the point of distortion).

The problem is not DSD, it's actually redbook (PCM, aka CD music). Most CD music is mastered too loud. If you have this CD track Friends Of Mr. Cairo by Vangelis, you'll appreciate just how good CD music can really be (May he RIP Thanks ).