Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: [split] Cannot update to RPi Snakeoil Firmware Gear Isolation U10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I now have SnakeoilOS running on four machines - my RPi 4 server, with LMS and three RPi 3s with various HATs as clients (Squeezelite v1.6.4). 

They are all running Raspbian 11, fully updated before installing SnakeoilOS. I've installed Firmware 1.2.9, but I'm not offered the option to install 1.2.10 (Update: Already latest). I've tried installing 1.2.10, but it fails.

Help!
What is the base Ubuntu version you have and are you registered as a Snakeoil Member ?
Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian) 11 (which, strictly, is based on Debian, rather than Ubuntu).

Are you asking if I have Snakeoil activated when you say Snakeoil member? The answer is not yet. Do I need to be to get the latest FW?

TIA.
[Image: Screenshot-2023-02-12-11-05-00.jpg]
If you can download the firmware then you shouldn't need to be registered. (Some testing versions are available to members occasionally)
How are you trying to do the update ?
Do you use the SO webpage and drag the firmware to the update box ?
(12-Feb-2023, 05:07 AM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]I now have SnakeoilOS running on four machines - my RPi 4 server, with LMS and three RPi 3s with various HATs as clients (Squeezelite v1.6.4). 

They are all running Raspbian 11, fully updated before installing SnakeoilOS. I've installed Firmware 1.2.9, but I'm not offered the option to install 1.2.10 (Update: Already latest). I've tried installing 1.2.10, but it fails.

Help!
Any problems downloading the Pi firmware?

when you drop 1.2.10 firmware into the install drop box, check:
1. The SHA checksum reported is correct
2. Any error messages during the install? Can you post the contents of the message?
3. Do you have enough free space on the Pi?
(13-Feb-2023, 08:47 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-Feb-2023, 05:07 AM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]I now have SnakeoilOS running on four machines - my RPi 4 server, with LMS and three RPi 3s with various HATs as clients (Squeezelite v1.6.4). 

Help!
Any problems downloading the Pi firmware?

when you drop 1.2.10 firmware into the install drop box, check:
1. The SHA checksum reported is correct
2. Any error messages during the install? Can you post the contents of the message?
3. Do you have enough free space on the Pi?

No problems downloading the Pi firmware.

I've waited, and waited this time. Far longer than it has taken other FW upgrades, and I get the following message:

Code:
SHA1SUM: 8f56eb20557257767928ab41f5bbe2b5f5ffdd88

Decrypting File: snakeoil-armv7l-1.2.10.fw
ERROR: Cannot decompress file.
Uploaded file appears to be an invalid firmware.

That means, I guess, that the checksum is correct, and the FW should be good to go.

Yet my RPis are not able to decompress.

It's late here and I have an early start in the morning, so it'll be tomorrow before I have a look at the SD card. It's a brand-new 32GB card, so there should be plenty of space, in theory. But I do know that under some circumstances they need partitions adjusting.

Leave it with me, please, and I'll get the answer about space on the card.
OK. There's 91% (26GB) available.

[Image: Screenshot-2023-02-14-at-07-13-52.png]

So we can rule that out. Unless the FW update is using somewhere other than /dev/root.

For absolute clarity, I maybe should have posted this screen capture at the start of this thread.

[Image: Screenshot-2023-02-14-at-07-25-15.png]

I have this on all four of my RPis.
Permissions issue ?

Code:
sudo chmod 755 (path-to-file) /snakeoil-armv7l-1.2.10.fw
(14-Feb-2023, 05:26 PM)Bromf Wrote: [ -> ]Permissions issue ?

Code:
sudo chmod 755 (path-to-file) /snakeoil-armv7l-1.2.10.fw

I've changed permissions:

[Image: Screenshot-2023-02-14-at-12-44-06.png]

Then, I cast around for what to do next! I tried this (rebooting after changing permissions):

[Image: Screenshot-2023-02-14-at-12-54-30.png]

But no luck.

20 minutes Googling and throwing caution to the winds at the command line and I haven't found how to move forward. 

Any help will be gratefully accepted!  Cool
Aha. I forgot to update the version checker to U10 as there were initial problems and I had to stop annoucing it. Fixed now.

Still not too sure what's happening with your setup. Can you try to update the firmware again, then generate a diangostic file and send it to me? Hopefully I can figure out what's wrong from that.

Alternatively, you can also try this method: sideload
Pages: 1 2