Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: New to snakeoil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(29-Mar-2023, 07:57 AM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]sorry, It's a Dell Studio 1558 with an 74.5GB HD. 
Processor
Intel Core i5-520M 2 x 2.4 - 2.9 GHz, Arrandale
Graphics adapter
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics, 8.15.10.1968
and a whopping 4GB of memory.
oh and the battery is dead.

I used Balena Etcher on my Windows 11 laptop to put Ubuntu Server 22.04 on it..and full install not minimized.

I'm hardwired no wifi, using entire disk as lvm.

I'm wiping and redoing it....

first step I'll ssh to it running an update and upgrade....and then I'll winscp to it 

copy this to the home:    snakeoil-installer-x86_64-1.2.6.sh (Size: 114.35 MB / Downloads: 566)
(SHA1: c0d0ab9b8d64e3f6a0d495f974679b511b87ca0c)

will run a sudo bash and the file name and then reboot it..

any other suggestions?

Hi, Pal,

I guess it's the problem with the ubuntu, ie. the server version 22.04.  I install in that way and it works in several installation.

1. Use Ubuntu desktop 22.04 iso and choose minimal installation
2. and then proceed as you've done, ie. scp the .sh and so and so
3. After few times of reboot and then it'll work like charm
4. Then you can replace the kernel with low latency kernel for much better sound
5. Of course you can go for the latest RT kernel yet need you to spend some time to register in Ubuntu and so and so.......

Have fun!
(29-Mar-2023, 10:11 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-Mar-2023, 07:57 AM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]sorry, It's a Dell Studio 1558 with an 74.5GB HD. 
Processor
Intel Core i5-520M 2 x 2.4 - 2.9 GHz, Arrandale
Graphics adapter
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics, 8.15.10.1968
and a whopping 4GB of memory.
oh and the battery is dead.

I used Balena Etcher on my Windows 11 laptop to put Ubuntu Server 22.04 on it..and full install not minimized.

I'm hardwired no wifi, using entire disk as lvm.

I'm wiping and redoing it....

first step I'll ssh to it running an update and upgrade....and then I'll winscp to it 

copy this to the home:    snakeoil-installer-x86_64-1.2.6.sh (Size: 114.35 MB / Downloads: 566)
(SHA1: c0d0ab9b8d64e3f6a0d495f974679b511b87ca0c)

will run a sudo bash and the file name and then reboot it..

any other suggestions?

Hi, Pal,

I guess it's the problem with the ubuntu, ie. the server version 22.04.  I install in that way and it works in several installation.

1. Use Ubuntu desktop 22.04 iso and choose minimal installation
2. and then proceed as you've done, ie. scp the .sh and so and so
3. After few times of reboot and then it'll work like charm
4. Then you can replace the kernel with low latency kernel for much better sound
5. Of course you can go for the latest RT kernel yet need you to spend some time to register in Ubuntu and so and so.......

Have fun!

going to try this...will let you know.

thanks
I downgraded to 20.04 and I'm able to access it...now to add plex and calibre and subsonic...for some strange reason I like subsonic.

Thanks all.
(29-Mar-2023, 07:45 PM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]I downgraded to 20.04 and I'm able to access it...
Thank you for the feedback.  A few of us have tried 22.04 with no issues but your experience will alert Agent Kith to investigate further.
(29-Mar-2023, 07:45 PM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]I downgraded to 20.04 and I'm able to access it...now to add plex and calibre and subsonic...for some strange reason I like subsonic.

Thanks all.

It's pity.  In my system, 22.04 produces better sound than 20.04.
(30-Mar-2023, 06:36 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-Mar-2023, 07:45 PM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]I downgraded to 20.04 and I'm able to access it...
Thank you for the feedback.  A few of us have tried 22.04 with no issues but your experience will alert Agent Kith to investigate further.
since it's a tester, I'll try 22.04 again...if it works, I'll add a few more fileshares...and then plex, and calibre-server...maybe calibre web, and subsonic.

I've got a wee bit of ocd...so once it works good...i'll redo my main server...it's an i5-7500 with 8GBs memory and a 3TB drive....should move a little better.
well it seems it was just my own sheer stupidity. 

I reinstalled 22.04 server...updated...scp'd the sh file and ran it...rebooted after accepting items...and it comes up...created new shares under media and edited samba to match what snakeoil did for the other folders...and chmodded the new folders...and installed kavita instead of calibre...i may do calibre as well...but kavita is nice for books..installed plex and subsonic and i have a functioning server.

thank you all...no issues so far.
(31-Mar-2023, 04:42 AM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]well it seems it was just my own sheer stupidity. 

I reinstalled 22.04 server...updated...scp'd the sh file and ran it...rebooted after accepting items...and it comes up...created new shares under media and edited samba to match what snakeoil did for the other folders...and chmodded the new folders...and installed kavita instead of calibre...i may do calibre as well...but kavita is nice for books..installed plex and subsonic and i have a functioning server.

thank you all...no issues so far.

Great!  Installed the low latency kernel yet?

Btw, nfs produces better sound over samba, too.  Even the improvement is not as significant as replacing with low latency kernel, it's still obvious.
(31-Mar-2023, 04:42 AM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]I reinstalled 22.04 server...updated...scp'd the sh file and ran it...rebooted after accepting items...and it comes up...created new shares under media and edited samba to match what snakeoil did for the other folders...and chmodded the new folders...and installed kavita instead of calibre...i may do calibre as well...but kavita is nice for books..installed plex and subsonic and i have a functioning server.
Good to know you have successfully installed SnakeOil.

Personally, I dedicate the server/streamer for music only and nothing else. Other programs are more than likely to have background processes running, even if the programs themselves are not being used. This could in turn affect sound quality (SQ).

However, the motto of SnakeOil is "music your way" and as long as you are happy with the SQ, that is all that counts. Welcome to the forum...
(31-Mar-2023, 10:14 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-Mar-2023, 04:42 AM)theribdoctor Wrote: [ -> ]I reinstalled 22.04 server...updated...scp'd the sh file and ran it...rebooted after accepting items...and it comes up...created new shares under media and edited samba to match what snakeoil did for the other folders...and chmodded the new folders...and installed kavita instead of calibre...i may do calibre as well...but kavita is nice for books..installed plex and subsonic and i have a functioning server.
Good to know you have successfully installed SnakeOil.

Personally, I dedicate the server/streamer for music only and nothing else. Other programs are more than likely to have background processes running, even if the programs themselves are not being used. This could in turn affect sound quality (SQ).

However, the motto of SnakeOil is "music your way" and as long as you are happy with the SQ, that is all that counts. Welcome to the forum...

Yup, I totally agree.  And also connecting the HDMI cable and USB keyboard/mousc (no matter wired or wireless) will obviously deteriorate the sound quality.  They flatten the soundstage and introduce quite a lot background noise, so reducing the dynamic and blurring the image and texture....... well, that's bad that making the music less vivid.
Pages: 1 2 3