Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: I dont have write permissions on /media/music after install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ubuntu 22.04 minimal, SO 1.2.11, HP T520 thinclient, Minimserver basic, SSH from Debian laptop (penguin)

​​​​​​I installed SO with minimal Ubuntu 22.04 desktop. I followed the wiki but was unable to install from /home so I installed to /home/patricia which has led to this problem. [Download the latest new install snakeoil (currently 1.2.6.sh) and paste into the root of the “home” folder]

See Image 2 for what this looks like from the Debian file manager connect to server SFTP.

When I access patricia@localhost by ssh in terminal, [ls] Desktop, Documents etc rather than the media folder. I use a Linux Debian laptop to manage the HP t520 thin client on which SO is installed. When I used Ubuntu server edition this did not occur and it isn't a problem for others who have used the desktop version. 

How can I set it up so I am in the right folder when i ssh and get write permission so I can change tags?

I have a permissions issue when I try to save the installer to any other folder. Its necessary to sort it out so I can use a tagger via sshfs or SSH.

Once I was exploring minimserver I noticed how my tagging isn't good enough to see all my music, as minim won't apply the same rules as LMS in identifying by file name. 

[email protected] is the SO thin client, patricia@penguin is my debian laptop

Image 1 is the home folder (no permission to copy to); Image 2 explores my user folder /home/patricia, where I can copy to; Image 3 is the root where /media/music resides (no permission to copy to)
Image 4 shows ccurrent file permission for music folder

The code snippet shows terminal sshfs is denied access to :/media/music but has access to :/home/patricia/Downloads

[Image: SO-installer3.png]

[Image: SO-installer2.png]

[Image: SO-installer.png]

[Image: image-4.png]
Code:
patricia@penguin:~$ sshfs [email protected]:/media/music/flac ~/mnt
[email protected]'s password:
[email protected]:/media/music/flac: No such file or directory
patricia@penguin:~$ sshfs [email protected]:/Downloads ~/mnt
[email protected]:/Downloads: No such file or directory
patricia@penguin:~$ sshfs [email protected]:/home/patricia/Downloads ~/mnt
patricia@penguin:~$ ls ~/mnt
songkong  songkong-linux-headless.tgz
patricia@penguin:~$
Having defined my problem I tried to change permissions recursively, sudo chmod 760 -R /media/music/Flac

Now I have lost access to the Flac folder 

How do I recover it?

LMS is working although /media/music is not accessible. The files are not damaged, I can access them by sftp.
Minimserver has gone from the frontend SO webadmin, I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it failed with this error
Server not available: localhost:9790 +:status=2
Stopping MinimServer process 1551

I will leave it alone until I get advice. I have been testing tagging with songkong and easytag which has all failed to update tags.
When I had some music on the SO instance (usually on NAS), I used
sudo chmod 777 -R /media/music/Flac
Yes, the lazy way, but when I tried to restrict it, came across issues that you have encountered.
777 is the lucky number! I have my 4484 songs back!
(11-Jun-2023, 04:42 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: [ -> ]​​​​​​I installed SO with minimal Ubuntu 22.04 desktop. I followed the wiki but was unable to install from /home so I installed to /home/patricia which has led to this problem. [Download the latest new install snakeoil (currently 1.2.6.sh) and paste into the root of the “home” folder]
Hope you have everything sorted? Smile When people like me say "Home Directory", we usually mean /home/<user_name>, and in your case it will be /home/patricia. And that's where you have the right permissions. Reading your post, it made me realise people will take that as the /home directory.

Honestly it never occurred to me until you raise this matter in this thread. I don't think I have found the exact location for home directory, but I will clarify this better in the wiki.

It's this disconnect between IT people and general public that I find interesting. And it is this curiosity that inspires me to come up with the Snakeoil project. Granted I havn't spent as much time as I like on this project this days, but I always like to bridge that gap and make computers in general more assessible to the general public.
Reminds me of the joke- There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.