Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Output volume very low
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,
i am running snakeoil from a usb stick

Dac is recognized
MPD does not recognize folder
Switched to Squeezelite 1.8, it is fine with folders

but the output volume is very very low.....

doing unmute 2 times
the sound (with the Dac volume control at 100% ) is 15-20% of the real volume
usually should be the opposite.
I have daphile installed on the same pc and no troubles with volume

any idea?
(12-Nov-2016, 01:20 AM)traver02 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,
i am running snakeoil from a usb stick

Dac is recognized
MPD does not recognize folder
Switched to Squeezelite 1.8, it is fine with folders

but the output volume is very very low.....

doing unmute 2 times
the sound (with the Dac volume control at 100% ) is 15-20% of the real volume
usually should be the opposite.
I have daphile installed on the same pc and no troubles with volume

any idea?

With digital audio there are several ways to adjust volume.  Unmute only adjusts the ALSA mixer's volume to the max but that does not include volume control by software.

By default LMS set the volume at 20%, so that sounds about right. You can disable software volume control by following the article outlined here, or adjust the volume dial to the max. Let me know if that works.

What's the issue with MPD?
(12-Nov-2016, 01:20 AM)traver02 Wrote: [ -> ]MPD does not recognize folder

Hi Traver,
Your music folder should first be indexed before you can see and play the contents. Did you use the "Update database" button in the MPD webclient?
no, volume level still the same
setting are exactly as following your guide, crossfade, smart crossfade, volume level fixed at 100 

i am just using a usb stick, i have not really installed the os. doing so will destroy all my library. takes hours to copy it again via LAN
now i can setup a second hdd an see it it works.....do you think that a real installed os could change something????
(12-Nov-2016, 09:59 PM)traver02 Wrote: [ -> ]no, volume level still the same
setting are exactly as following your guide, crossfade, smart crossfade, volume level fixed at 100 
Think
(12-Nov-2016, 09:59 PM)traver02 Wrote: [ -> ]i am just using a usb stick, i have not really installed the os. doing so will destroy all my library. takes hours to copy it again via LAN
now i can setup a second hdd an see it it works.....do you think that a real installed os could change something????
No, the only difference with a Live CD is the settings will be gone after a reboot (i.e. you have to make the LMS settings and unmute every time when you power up). Installing Snakeoil only means you can make persistent changes.

It's possible Unmute in the web application isn't working as expected for your audio device. You can try and SSH into the machine, and then run:
Code:
sudo alsamixer
and manually dial up any volume dials to max (0 dB) and see if that helps.

get MPD up and working and see if you have the same issues.
i will try mpd as well
i see that with the usb boot i have to do the settings again. but it's quick.
i have already tried with putty/ssh but with user snakeoil and the default password i cant login
the real installation ask for a new password, but i have no pw.
have i done something wrong?
(13-Nov-2016, 07:58 AM)traver02 Wrote: [ -> ]i will try mpd as well
i see that with the usb boot i have to do the settings again. but it's quick.
i have already tried with putty/ssh but with user snakeoil and the default password i cant login
the real installation ask for a new password, but i have no pw.
have i done something wrong?
No, it's not you, it's me Confused. I'm in the middle of moving the forums from one host to another, and because of this, the internet connection is so slow, it's messing up my brains. 
[Image: Nooo.gif]

My bad, with live CD you can't ssh in. Use VNC instead, once you are in, press the start button on your keyboard (or Alt+Esc may work), and start a new Terminal. From the terminal, run sudo alsamixer and see if all the volumes are mixed out.

(Also, if you already have a keyboard/monitor connected, you can do it the usual way).

Let me know how this goes.