SnakeOil Server Hardware - What are you using?
SnakeOil is running well on my Mac Mini, however I'm intested in exploring a fanless setup.  I have a HD PLEX PSU on order as well as a Uptone MMk DC conversion kit.  Just curious what ATOM or other processor setups others are using that work well with Snakeoil?

Has anyone built a snakeoil server based on a HD Plex case?

Thanks

(04-May-2017, 08:19 PM)NoDisc Wrote: SnakeOil is running well on my Mac Mini, however I'm intested in exploring a fanless setup.  I have a HD PLEX PSU on order as well as a Uptone MMk DC conversion kit.  Just curious what ATOM or other processor setups others are using that work well with Snakeoil?
Not a lot of people post what they're using at all, or what works and work not. What is reported, I'd try to update in the "Working Dacs and Motherboards" thread.

Will also be interested to see what other people are running too. Especially the cases they use. So far I'm not that impressed with any on offer - be it from Streamcom or HDPlex. They still look like a computer case, still waiting on "the one".

For some other ideas on what to run SnakeoilOS on, here's some ideas of mine. 
  1. HP Gen 8 with iLO (Remote console over IP). 4 hot swap drive bays. Not fanless though.
    [Image: HpGen8.jpg]
  2. AMD Ryzen. Thinking of getting the 1700. Lowish TDP, 8C16T. And if SQ isn't up to par, just use that as a home lab server.
Only issue is I'm running out of space to buy new hardware to experiment.. Cry

Hope others can chip in with what they have, or other ideas.

Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

I think my requirements would be:

Fanless case
Low powered processor, no upsampling needed
Expansion slot to accept SOTM USB card
Able to accept Linerar power supply. 
SD or e-SATA for music library
Smallest footprint possible. 
HD Plex is easy for me to obtain, so those are appealing cases for me.

Do you think SnakeOil would run on the Zotec Zbox C series?

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pc...series/all

(05-May-2017, 10:34 PM)NoDisc Wrote: Do you think SnakeOil would run on the Zotec Zbox C series?

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pc...series/all

Nobody wants to entertiain a guess if SnakeOil might run on any of these?  I won't blame you if it does not, I will simply use it for JPLAY if for some reason SnakeOil will not run on it.  I just need a back up for my MacMini which is my main work machine.

(08-May-2017, 10:54 PM)NoDisc Wrote: Nobody wants to entertiain a guess if SnakeOil might run on any of these?  I won't blame you if it does not, I will simply use it for JPLAY if for some reason SnakeOil will not run on it.  I just need a back up for my MacMini which is my main work machine.

Not a lot of people are using SnakeoilOS, and I don't have the Zotec to confirm.

All I can do from my side is to provide any support should you have any issues. Last I recall with the Zotec, you get no screen at all right? If that's the case, probably have to wait for the new SnakeoilOS beta to come out and see if that works better.

I don't mind getting a Zotac nano to experment, but I hope that after getting it you don't tell me I should of gotten xx motherboard instead of the one I choose. I don't yet have a Zotac and my only reason for thinking it might work is that the new Ephony (Arch Linux) software runs fine on it, and it has a 12v DC input that will work great with my HD PLEX LPS.   

FWIW - I first learned about SnakeOil from the CA forum post on Euphony, I had not known about SnakeOil before.  

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...c-servers/

(09-May-2017, 02:23 PM)NoDisc Wrote: I don't mind getting a Zotac nano to experment, but I hope that after getting it you don't tell me I should of gotten xx motherboard instead of the one I choose. I don't yet have a Zotac and my only reason for thinking it might work is that the new Ephony (Arch Linux) software runs fine on it, and it has a 12v DC input that will work great with my HD PLEX LPS.   
I prefer everybody to use the NF9C to be honest... But it's too slow and probably not a good idea for anybody to buy that board now. Having said that, it's a helluva board Heart.

My suggestion for now is to wait for Snakeoil beta to be released, then try it on your current Zotac and see how it goes?

I have some ideas on how to workaround in case the video driver is too new for the OS. And being Ubuntu 16.04, it should have all the updated video drivers anyway. Fingers crossed.

(09-May-2017, 02:23 PM)NoDisc Wrote: FWIW - I first learned about SnakeOil from the CA forum post on Euphony, I had not known about SnakeOil before.  

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...c-servers/
Seems Euphony is sorta doing the same thing as SnakeoilOS. It's current web interface is better though, Think competition. Luckily SnakeoilOS is free, else I'd be worried $ tongue.

Hopefully I can have you patience on Snakeoil 1.0.0.. It's being finished at a phenomenal pace, but still not ready enough to be beta ready. I'd let you know if I have something out for testing. Thanks

(09-May-2017, 03:33 PM)agent_kith Wrote: I have some ideas on how to workaround in case the video driver is too new for the OS.
The workaround works. The virtual GUI desktop will always start with the next release of the ISO 1.0.0 beta. That means even if you can't get any screen/text on the main computer, you can always remote in via VNC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • NoDisc

(04-May-2017, 08:19 PM)NoDisc Wrote: SnakeOil funziona bene sul mio Mac Mini, tuttavia sono interessato a esplorare una configurazione senza fan. Ho un HD PLEX PSU in ordine e un kit di conversione Uptone MMk DC. Sei curioso di sapere quale ATOM o altre configurazioni di processori che altri stanno usando funzionano bene con Snakeoil? Qualcuno ha costruito un server snakeoil basato su un caso HD Plex? Grazie
Hi, I would like to ask you if to install snakeoil on mac mini you need to overcome some firmware protection of the bios or not