[SOLVED] MPD Pipe output
(24-Feb-2021, 01:45 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(24-Feb-2021, 11:25 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Finally got round to looking at this. Have 2 DACs, can play to either HW:1,0 or HW 0,0 but not both together (in music player tab).  How do I define a second output and enable both?
That might require a UI update I believe. I'm working on getting Pi4 to work with Gear Isolation right now. Will look into this once I get that done. Remind me if I forget :p.

Been so busy with so many things it's hard to keep track.
If it is easier, I can go under and create the config file entries.  Point me in the right direction and I should be able to do things.

(24-Feb-2021, 05:56 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: If it is easier, I can go under and create the config file entries.  Point me in the right direction and I should be able to do things.
Look under /var/www/players/mpd-022/mpd.template (or mpd.conf.template). Modify the file as needed, restart MPD and see how it goes.

Note that right now this config file will be overwritten next time you apply an update. I'll add the feature to modify the file from the webapp in a future update.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Snoopy8

(25-Feb-2021, 04:28 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(24-Feb-2021, 05:56 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: If it is easier, I can go under and create the config file entries.  Point me in the right direction and I should be able to do things.
Look under /var/www/players/mpd-022/mpd.template (or mpd.conf.template). Modify the file as needed, restart MPD and see how it goes.

Note that right now this config file will be overwritten next time you apply an update. I'll add the feature to modify the file from the webapp in a future update.
Thank you.  I managed to edit the mpd.conf.template file to create 2 ALSA outputs and got music to deliver to both DACs simultaneously.

(25-Feb-2021, 07:38 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Thank you.  I managed to edit the mpd.conf.template file to create 2 ALSA outputs and got music to deliver to both DACs simultaneously.
Nice, appreciate if you can post a how-to in the walkthrough section, or even the wiki?

Curious, are the 2 DAC's in sync? Now sure how to easily measure this, I'm sure they've drifted, and there'll be jitter.

Some audio cards (or DACs) have the ability to sync to a master clock (most pro gear will have this)..

(26-Feb-2021, 09:29 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(25-Feb-2021, 07:38 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Thank you.  I managed to edit the mpd.conf.template file to create 2 ALSA outputs and got music to deliver to both DACs simultaneously.
Nice, appreciate if you can post a how-to in the walkthrough section, or even the wiki?

Curious, are the 2 DAC's in sync? Now sure how to easily measure this, I'm sure they've drifted, and there'll be jitter.

Some audio cards (or DACs) have the ability to sync to a master clock (most pro gear will have this)..
Thank you for your support; this was much easier than I anticipated.  So far, been doing a proof of concept. Will do a write-up once I have implemented it in a few weeks time. 

Yes, if using standard USB ports, will get drift. Am using an external USB card that has 2 USB ports, driven by a master clock.  One will drive my system, second one will drive dual subs which is optimised by MSO (uses subs to "fill troughs" in the bass response of mains).

Question: is there an equivalent config for LMS to do dual simultaneous output?

(26-Feb-2021, 12:32 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Question: is there an equivalent config for LMS to do dual simultaneous output?
Easiest way is to create a new ALSA device and "chain" it to your two DACs. (Example)

That's the way I'm going to do this in the future. It's kind of weird, although there're lots of progress made in the past 2+ months, why do I still have the feeling there's still tons of things to do? Think Big Grin

(26-Feb-2021, 12:41 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(26-Feb-2021, 12:32 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Question: is there an equivalent config for LMS to do dual simultaneous output?
Easiest way is to create a new ALSA device and "chain" it to your two DACs. (Example)

I was anticipating having to do it that way originally.  It is easier within Mpd to define 2 audio outputs in template and it is done. 

The following comments have not yet been tested, but I think:
  • Dual outputs in Mpd should be able to do native DSD
  • Using ALSA chain, you can only define PCM streams, and will have to use DoP
  • If using upmpdcli with LMS, can modify same Mpd template in upmpdcli folder to do dual outputs

Have now updated the Wiki on MPD Dual Outputs
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Players...al_outputs

Confirming that this method allows dual DSD outputs and can be used in LMS running upmpdcli as the client.