USB dropout.
I was wondering if anyone had an insight into what may be happening with my system.  Its been running perfectly, however I just upgraded my USB cable to a Supra and am now experiencing intermittant drop out, 10-15seconds at a time.  Funny thing is this only occurs running MPD and ympd.  I don't get this with LMS.  I'm using an old laptop, but its still a 64bit, 2 core 2GHz with 4Gb RAM.
Could this be a cable issue or a firmware?  I'm running the latest beta version RC1.

Thanks

(26-Jul-2018, 03:46 PM)D629497 Wrote: I was wondering if anyone had an insight into what may be happening with my system.  Its been running perfectly, however I just upgraded my USB cable to a Supra and am now experiencing intermittant drop out, 10-15seconds at a time.  Funny thing is this only occurs running MPD and ympd.  I don't get this with LMS.  I'm using an old laptop, but its still a 64bit, 2 core 2GHz with 4Gb RAM.
Could this be a cable issue or a firmware?  I'm running the latest beta version RC1.

Thanks
Interesting. If you swap out that Supra USB to your previous cable, and it all works? Which version of MPD? All of them?

With the supra cable, after you've played some music.

Can you generate a diagnostic file and send it to my me please? The email is shown when you generate the file. I'd have a look at the file when I can. thanks.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Received your diagnostics file.
 Everything seems to run good, then about 67 minutes in, the USB port is resetted. I'm not entirely sure what/why it's doing that. There is an option to reset the USB ports in the System menu. Don't think you pressed that button by any chance, did you?
 [   21.793171] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[   44.002167] cgroup: new mount options do not match the existing superblock, will be ignored
[ 4021.250023] usb 2-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
If you didn't reset the USB port yourself. This means Linux has done that for you. And it only does this if it detects a problem on the USB - transfer errors, low power, etc.Is this a USB port on the motherboard, or a external card (e.g. SoTM, JCat, etc)? If possible can you try another port and see how it goes?
The idea now is to isolate where the cause is, try the following:
  1. Use a different version of MPD (v19, 18 or the old v17)
  2. Try a combination of different USB cable on different USB ports and see if it still behaves the same way.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(27-Jul-2018, 08:49 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Received your diagnostics file.
 Everything seems to run good, then about 67 minutes in, the USB port is resetted. I'm not entirely sure what/why it's doing that. There is an option to reset the USB ports in the System menu. Don't think you pressed that button by any chance, did you?
[   44.002167] cgroup: new mount options do not match the existing superblock, will be ignored
If you didn't reset the USB port yourself. This means Linux has done that for you. And it only does this if it detects a problem on the USB - transfer errors, low power, etc.Is this a USB port on the motherboard, or a external card (e.g. SoTM, JCat, etc)? If possible can you try another port and see how it goes?
  2. Try a combination of different USB cable on different USB ports and see if it still behaves the same way.

Thanks.  No, I didn't reset the USB.  I have 4 usb 2.0 ports on the laptop motherboard.
I'll experiment and see if I can isolate the problem.

(27-Jul-2018, 02:41 PM)D629497 Wrote:
(27-Jul-2018, 08:49 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Received your diagnostics file.

Thanks.  No, I didn't reset the USB.  I have 4 usb 2.0 ports on the laptop motherboard.
I'll experiment and see if I can isolate the problem.  

The problem is related to the usb port.  Using port 1 I got, 4 resets over a 3hr period.  However, using port 3 I have experienced no resets for the past 12hr. I have an external USB HDD containing music attached to port 4.
So as long as I stick to port 3 all is well. Smile