Merging Technologies: Butler Client
This is the user space client for the Merging Technologies Ravenna/AES67 ALSA output device.

Supplied as is, it's closed source so I have no idea how safe this is. Please run at your own risk.

Please refer to the relevant section in the Snakeoil Reference Manual for installation instructions.

Downloads
.fw   ravenna-amd64-1.0.1.fw (Size: 1.77 MB / Downloads: 25) (SHA1: a3e5aa85f10a2f903d6ee05eb30f01d0a4a201b2)
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(02-Mar-2019, 08:17 PM)agent_kith Wrote: This is the user space client for the Merging Technologies Ravenna/AES67 ALSA output device.

Supplied as is, it's closed source so I have no idea how safe this is. Please run at your own risk.

Please refer to the relevant section in the Snakeoil Reference Manual for installation instructions.

Downloads(SHA1: 9019cec67b5fc717840358b2454915d42d358fa1)

Hi Kith,
I'm unable to install the Ravenna Module the driver seems to be compiled for the AMD instead of x86.

[Image: tar.png]   vmlinuz-4.4.9-rt17-amd64-ravenna-20190228.tar.bz2 (Size: 3.47 MB / Downloads: 1) (SHA1: d89b965b6d254513fd47ceae65856e6d649bec6b)

(05-Mar-2019, 11:46 AM)mftech Wrote:
(02-Mar-2019, 08:17 PM)agent_kith Wrote: This is the user space client for the Merging Technologies Ravenna/AES67 ALSA output device.

Hi Kith,
I'm unable to install the Ravenna Module the driver seems to be compiled for the AMD instead of x86.

[Image: tar.png]vmlinuz-4.4.9-rt17-amd64-ravenna-20190228.tar.bz2 (Size: 3.47 MB / Downloads: 1) (SHA1: d89b965b6d254513fd47ceae65856e6d649bec6b) 
Are you referring to Butler (the client), or the Linux Kernel module (LKM)?

You don't have to build the Ravenna kernel in snakeoil. The vmlinuz kernel you mentioned above already has the LKM built in. So, as the manual says
1. Upgrade your Snakeoil to this ravenna kernel
2. Reboot Snakeoil PC
3. Install Butler Client
4. that's it.

Note Ravenna support is only available on 64 bit systems. Ubuntu convention refer to 64 bit OS as AMD64. This covers both Intel and AMD CPUs using x86 instruction set...Kind of confusing on hindsight.. Think

(05-Mar-2019, 01:44 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(05-Mar-2019, 11:46 AM)mftech Wrote:

Hi Kith,

[Image: tar.png]vmlinuz-4.4.9-rt17-amd64-ravenna-20190228.tar.bz2 (Size: 3.47 MB / Downloads: 1) (SHA1: d89b965b6d254513fd47ceae65856e6d649bec6b)  
Are you referring to Butler (the client), or the Linux Kernel module (LKM)?

You don't have to build the Ravenna kernel in snakeoil. The vmlinuz kernel you mentioned above already has the LKM built in. So, as the manual says
1. Upgrade your Snakeoil to this ravenna kernel
2. Reboot Snakeoil PC
3. Install Butler Client
4. that's it.

Note Ravenna support is only available on 64 bit systems. Ubuntu convention refer to 64 bit OS as AMD64. This covers both Intel and AMD CPUs using x86 instruction set...Kind of confusing on hindsight.. Think 

Installation done, it was too simple :-)

Here's my observations:
  • The Merging Ravenna Player show up in LMS as an available player.
  • Playback is available with the LMS UI (the play cursor is moving)
  • Both the NADAC don't detect Snake Oil as an available server, so no playback possibe.
  • Logitech Media Server  don't appear as an available device in Aneman. (Aneman=Audio Network Manager for Ravenna)

(10-Mar-2019, 04:56 AM)mftech Wrote: Installation done, it was too simple :-)

Here's my observations:
  • Both the NADAC don't detect Snake Oil as an available server, so no playback possibe.
  • Logitech Media Server  don't appear as an available device in Aneman. (Aneman=Audio Network Manager for Ravenna)

Butler uses port TCP 9090, Logitech Media Server also uses the same port. Have updated the above to version 1.0.1. Can you download and install it again on your Snakeoil PC, and then restart the Snakeoil PC and see if it works now?

If not, click on the "Network" menu, and look at the network interfaces panel, is this showing eth0, or something else?
[Image: gKNlwW7.png]

If it's not eth0, you have to modify this file: /var/alsa-aes67-driver/merging_ravenna_daemon.conf

Change eth0 to whatever is written in your network interfaces.

(10-Mar-2019, 02:25 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(10-Mar-2019, 04:56 AM)mftech Wrote: Installation done, it was too simple :-)

Here's my observations:

Butler uses port TCP 9090, Logitech Media Server also uses the same port. Have updated the above to version 1.0.1. Can you download and install it again on your Snakeoil PC, and then restart the Snakeoil PC and see if it works now?

If not, click on the "Network" menu, and look at the network interfaces panel, is this showing eth0, or something else?
[Image: gKNlwW7.png]

If it's not eth0, you have to modify this file: /var/alsa-aes67-driver/merging_ravenna_daemon.conf

Change eth0 to whatever is written in your network interfaces. 

Hi Kith
I re-install both the kernel and the Butler and reboot my server, we have some improvments but I still have some issues:

The LMS server is not configured in the Butler Aps 

The NADAC doesn't detect LMS as as an available server.

Here's some pic and observations:

[Image: audio-state.png]

The player seems to be installed correctly, but I couldn't click on it to access the Butler apps.

[Image: kernel.jpg]

This Kernel show up as AMD and I'm running an I5, not sure if this is correct, please confirm.

[Image: network.png]
NIC Show-up as eth0

[Image: player.jpg]

Merging Ravenna is avalaible as a Squeezelite Player, the player cursor is running correctly.

Many thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-Mar-2019, 11:13 AM)mftech Wrote: Hi Kith
I re-install both the kernel and the Butler and reboot my server, we have some improvments but I still have some issues:

The LMS server is not configured in the Butler Aps 
I'm not familiar with how Ravenna works, what's Bulter Aps? The Butler web page?

(11-Mar-2019, 11:13 AM)mftech Wrote: The NADAC doesn't detect LMS as as an available server.

Here's some pic and observations:

The player seems to be installed correctly, but I couldn't click on it to access the Butler apps.
Hmm.. For some reason your "Merging RAVENNA" words don't look clickable. Are you using Blind Testing 1.1.3?

Try the following URL for now: http://<your_snakeoil_ip_address_here>:9091/webapp/advanced/index.html

(11-Mar-2019, 11:13 AM)mftech Wrote: This Kernel show up as AMD and I'm running an I5, not sure if this is correct, please confirm
NIC Show-up as eth0

Merging Ravenna is avalaible as a Squeezelite Player, the player cursor is running correctly.

Many thanks
Most of this looks OK. Don't worry about the AMD tag, it's just Linux's way of saying this is 64 bits OS (AMD came out with the 64 bit instruction set first, and Linux stuck with it).

Trying to replicate LMS+Squeezelite over Ravenna.

This is the Butler client, showing the source. Nothing in the Session sinks as I don't have any subscriber. Looking at this, things should be working, but I don't have any receiver to test it.

And honestly getting a bit confused. Merging told me they're using Ravenna in unicasting (1:1) mode for the audiophile market. line 6 (beginning with 239.1.x.x) is a multicast address. Maybe that's the problem you're seeing. This is supposed to be in unicast mode.

I've also performed a packet capture on multicast packets with music playing. Maybe it's because I don't have a sink, but don't see a lot of activity.

Do you have any documentations on how to set this up so that it'd work with the Merging DAC?

[Image: DFE1436.png]

I'd also send an email to them for clarifications.