Ryzen 3000 CPUs: Anybody planning to run Snakeoil on it?
I've been waiting a long time for this, but looks like Ryzen 3000 is finally coming, to be released on 7th July, 2019.

7 nm.

Quote:Today at Computex, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su is announcing the raft of processors it will be launching on its new Zen 2 chiplet-based microarchitecture. Among other things, AMD is unveiling its new Ryzen 9 product tier, which it is using for its 12-core Ryzen 9 3900X processor, and which runs at 4.6 GHz boost. All of the five processors will be PCIe 4.0 enabled, and while they are being accompanied by the new X570 chipset launch, they still use the same AM4 socket, meaning some AMD 300 and 400-series motherboards can still be used. We have all the details inside.

Link

My first 3000 series will be for Snakeoil development. This is going to replace the current backend dev system. Going for the low end CPU (3600) because of it's 65W TDP. This will hopefully be the machine that powers the kernel download site.

Next year or thereafter, will get one and test that for audio.

Anybody else planning on getting this too? Replacing their Xeons for convolution, HQPlayer, etc? This is a big release. And it will change the IT markets, and perhaps the audio market.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • luiswu, hkphantomgtr

2 more days (or 3?) before the official release. I'll check my piggy bank and will probably still buy one for Snakeoil development - just not sure if it'll be on release day just yet.

Anybody else planning to get one as their player? The whole CPU architecture, in theory this should be good for audio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

Pulled the trigger on a Ryzen 5 3600... Although this is going to be the new development platform for Snakeoil, but will try and see how it goes with Snakeoil first. And to see if UEFI boot works well with it.
  • luiswu

Ryzen parts arrived 2 days ago. This is a UEFI BIOS only. Will try it's CSM and see if Snakeoil OS will boot on it.

I'm using 64 GB RAM for this build as this is going to be the development server for Snakeoil. Stock speed of these DDR4 is 2133, but flick a switch and they overclock to 3600 GHz. And the speed difference is noticable. This is a low cost CPU, but everything feels fast. Very fast!

[Image: Ryzen.png]
Not sure about stability as yet as I'm still working on this. Other things to do:
  1. Get a new PSU
  2. Get a 10 Gbps network card
All up this AMD system is looking very promising. Especially for RAM play as the speed is phenomenal.
[-] The following 4 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr, mkysimes, luiswu, Bromf

Quote:64 GB RAM ,...  everything feels fast. Very fast! ,...Especially for RAM play as the speed is phenomenal.

Cool 64 GB RAM, that's 8x my very best device! Wow !

(20-Sep-2019, 04:30 PM)Bromf Wrote: Cool 64 GB RAM, that's 8x my very best device! Wow !
Unfortunately hit a very big snag. The PC will not boot up any more.. Only 1 stick of RAM works now... Don't have time to look into it so looks like it'll be shelved until I can troubleshoot or buy more parts. Sometimes I just hate computers.. Sad

The machine is back up again. And it's been stable for a few hours now. That's a huge relief.

Hopefully I can finish up the RAM copy on U8, and then folks with Ryzen machines can try running this on their overclocked RAM (4600 GHz?). This will be the ultimate low latency playback system ever. That's if the Snakeoil USB stick will boot on a Ryzen.

Now that this system is alive again I'm really hesistant to do anything else. Will probably build a second Ryzen for testing purchases, and just leave this for development.
  • Bromf

You have been busy and persistent !
Great to hear it is working....   and.... "overclocked RAM (4600 GHz?)" ! Whew

(24-Sep-2019, 02:42 PM)Bromf Wrote: You have been busy and persistent !
Great to hear it is working....   and.... "overclocked RAM (4600 GHz?)" ! Whew
4600 GHz is the max I am aware of.. Mine is only 3200 GHz. Stock speed is 2133 GHz.

This machine is a lot more powerful, more RAM and quieter than my existing dev machine. Just hope it'll work. If yes it'll only mean good things for the Snakeoil project.