Wake On Lan
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this but has anyone successfully configured WOL in Snakeoil? I want to use a PC in another room for my LMS duties but I don't want to leave it on all the time. I do have an app for my phone that will wake it up but I figured I'd ask if anyone has a way to send the "magic packet" from within the Snakeoil interface. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

(24-Oct-2019, 06:17 AM)mkysimes Wrote: Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this but has anyone successfully configured WOL in Snakeoil? I want to use a PC in another room for my LMS duties but I don't want to leave it on all the time. I do have an app for my phone that will wake it up but I figured I'd ask if anyone has a way to send the "magic packet" from within the Snakeoil interface. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think WOL is a kernel feature so the existing kernels will work. You just need to turn on WOL in the BIOS, and any tools should be able to wake the PC up.. You'll know WOL is working if
  1. If the PC actually powers on when you send the comman (e.g. using etherwake)
  2. The connect LED of your network card is still lit when on standby
Once your confirm your LMS server is capable. Perhaps just install etherwake on the Snakeoil PC, and add the code into /etc/rc.local file. This script is executed everytime the machine reboots, so should work well. Perhaps can follow this article as a guide.

Having said that, WOL is kind of old technology, and not particularly power efficient. Ideally you want something to be consuming < 0.5 W when on standby.

You might want to consider some efficient smart wifi plugs that'll only consumes < 0.5 W. I've set the computers in my home to turn on if AC is back on. This means the PC will turn on automatically if I turn on the power from mains. This works wonders IMO and is better than WOL as it conserves more power.

Only question is not entirely sure if the addition of a plug will be detrimental to the sound or not. Using this smart wifi plugs, together with things like home assistant, one can introduce some very powerful automations concepts. e.g. if I turn on this plug, set the lights to warm and dim it to 20%, turn on the remote server, turn on the Hifi, etc.

And when I power off the streaming PC, the action will trigger some other automations, e.g. shutdown remote machine, then power off the plug that powers the remote machine, set the lights back to daylight at 100%, and so on.

Edit: I've created a feature request to allow you to insert startup/shutdown commands in the WebApp. Not sure when it'll be implemented, but at least it's in the system now so I wouldn't forget. :p. Also here's the readout of one of my computers (AC on, but PC Is powered off). It's consuming 5.83 W. This is higher than usual because it also has a remote console interface, and of the six network ports, 2 are on WOL.

If you are using a good Intel NIC, and with a good PSU, probably can get < 0.5 W on standby. So far none of my old computers can get to to that (Havn't checked my new Ryzen to see how much power draw when it's off).

[Image: Plug-Power-Consumption.jpg]
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • mkysimes

That's great info agent_kith! I'm a little behind the times I guess Think I do have the LMS machine set up and it does work when I use the app on my phone, just wasn't sure if there was an option in Snakeoil web config. Of course the LMS machine is running Snakeoil as well so I can shut it down easily with the web app. Cool

Isn't a big deal, just curious. Thanks again for all the info! Gives me some options to ponder.

(24-Oct-2019, 09:25 AM)mkysimes Wrote: That's great info agent_kith! I'm a little behind the times I guess Think I do have the LMS machine set up and it does work when I use the app on my phone, just wasn't sure if there was an option in Snakeoil web config. Of course the LMS machine is running Snakeoil as well so I can shut it down easily with the web app. Cool
I'm a lot behind the times as well. Just can't find the time to expand on the Wiki. There is a reason why I chose to use a REST API with the current version of Snakeoil - for automation Heart.

At the moment these things are not available in the web config (because I'm doing this externally). Once the startup/shutdown links are included, you can perform some simplier automations. This is a open API, with no OAUTH or any form of authentication. You hit the API entry points, and it'll execute the commands. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible so as not to introduce any additional overheads (for latency sake).

E.g. you can add this to your client PC in the shutdown scripts, and it will shutdown the LMS Snakeoil server remotely.
Code:
curl -d "" -X POST http://the_snakeoil_pc_to_shutdown/api/system/shutdown

Documenting the API is in one of my TODO list. And once that is available, technically anybody can use that as a reference to:
  1. Write their own user interface (i.e. a different version of the Snakeoil web app)
  2. Interface Snakeoil into their home automation system

Getting a universal remote control is one of the things to do. And once that is done, imagine the things I can do.... Via Home Assistant, I hope to:
  1. Play a specific song on specific date/time (e.g. Play some birthday songs on birthdays, or anniversaries)
  2. Voice control, probably have to cheat on this a little via IFTTT
  3. infinite possibilities
None of this has to do with audio quality per se.. It just makes life so easy Big Grin Big Grin....
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066, Bromf

Quote:Getting a universal remote control is one of the things to do. And once that is done, imagine the things I can do.... Via Home Assistant, I hope to:
  1. Play a specific song on specific date/time (e.g. Play some birthday songs on birthdays, or anniversaries)
  2. Voice control, probably have to cheat on this a little via IFTTT
  3. infinite possibilities
4. A wake up alarm.....system turns on at user set time and plays favourite stream or tune.... volume ramps up from low to user selected "WAKE UP" value.
5. Sleep function... user sets playlist/stream and time until turn-off....  Volume ramps down after set period and when it reaches lowest level system turns off.
6. Both 4&5 are pre-settable for different days of the week. 
7. Dinnertime music stream with recorded audio instruction voiceover... "OK,  time to put away all mobile electronic devices and participate in family conversation.... especially you Darren!  and if you don't I'll jump out of this hell-hole of plastic and rip your bloody arms off...and I will too...don't you forget it"

Alright, perhaps not #7... but I've always wanted an Aunty Jack announcement.... best Ocker '70's comedy ever....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oghwOUs6pVQ
@ 0.43 minutes Wink

and the spin offs.... Norman at his best !!!! direct from the Aunty Jack show Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNQXxwKlH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bKg9tMA...H8&index=3

Damn... how did he get away with this !!....it was a different world then...:-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCCDlPd...H8&index=4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

Wow! Woa

After browsing the Home Assistant website my first thought was the kind of trouble the kids could cause with something like that! Evil Smile

Well, at least I know what to do with my Pi3 once I upgrade to Pi4!