Adding upmpdcli as a client for Logitech Media Server
(09-Oct-2020, 09:57 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: I put a cover.jpg in every album folder.  It works fine with different mpd apps for many years.  Smile
(09-Oct-2020, 01:48 PM)Bromf Wrote: Put both cover.jpg and folder.jpg then it will work with almost any player... Wink
It is much easier if you have been using Mpd for a while and maintained the discipline.  Most other players picked up the embedded covers and did not require music to be organised in folders.  Interesting that MAFA has on its To Do list the ability to read embedded covers...

(09-Oct-2020, 08:25 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(09-Oct-2020, 09:57 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: I put a cover.jpg in every album folder.  It works fine with different mpd apps for many years.  Smile
(09-Oct-2020, 01:48 PM)Bromf Wrote: Put both cover.jpg and folder.jpg then it will work with almost any player... Wink
It is much easier if you have been using Mpd for a while and maintained the discipline.  Most other players picked up the embedded covers and did not require music to be organised in folders.  Interesting that MAFA has on its To Do list the ability to read embedded covers...

Does the "embedded cover" means the cover photo is in the music file, eg AiFF, FLAC? If so, I'm afraid that the cost of such convenience is taking off the sound quality.

(10-Oct-2020, 01:12 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Does the "embedded cover" means the cover photo is in the music file, eg AiFF, FLAC? If so, I'm afraid that the cost of such convenience is taking off the sound quality.
How did you come to this conclusion and please point me to the evidence?

(10-Oct-2020, 09:13 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(10-Oct-2020, 01:12 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Does the "embedded cover" means the cover photo is in the music file, eg AiFF, FLAC? If so, I'm afraid that the cost of such convenience is taking off the sound quality.
How did you come to this conclusion and please point me to the evidence?

Just try and listen, you may find a different result from mine Big Grin

I am new to mpd and upmpdcli but very interested because MPD sounds great in my system but I hate the MPD interfaces I've tried (web and Apple).

upmpdcli seems like a solution but I'm now using a Telos server that incorporates a Pi 4 with an internal SSD. So my limitations are Buster form of Snakeoil and wanting server and client (player) on the same machine. Also really wanting an interface for iPad.

Currently with 1.1.10-arm, minimserver is not an option. If I select LMS as server then upmpdcli is not an available option as client. That's the original subject of this thread, I assume, but not sure, Snoopy, if you already have something working there. Also not sure if your SQ comparisons used a 2 box solution (upstream computer as server) and/or Buster version of Snakeoil?

Anyway, for me mpdv20 sounds best. Minimserver-upmpdcli sounds worse and LMS-upmpdcli sounds worse again. However, I could only test the latter 2 by switching to a 2 box set up, so not a controlled test.

For the future, I'd like to see all options available for 1 box set up and given Minimserver will require payment and LMS seems to sound inferior when used with mpd, I wonder is there some other UPnP server that could be added to Snakeoil? Ideally, something minimalistic in terms of CPU usage.

Meanwhile, I'd take any suggestions for decent MPD controller for iPad.

Cheers,
JD
[-] The following 1 user Likes JD1's post:
  • Snoopy8

(21-Nov-2020, 03:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: ... because MPD sounds great in my system but I hate the MPD interfaces I've tried (web and Apple).
Fully agree, great sound, lousy interfaces. And i still dislike how MPD manage cover art.
(21-Nov-2020, 03:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: Anyway, for me mpdv20 sounds best. Minimserver-upmpdcli sounds worse and LMS-upmpdcli sounds worse again.
My experience is the same.
(21-Nov-2020, 03:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: Meanwhile, I'd take any suggestions for decent MPD controller for iPad.
Thanks to @hkphantomgtr I am using MAFA (Android). I assume you have tried
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rigelian/id1363775934
[-] The following 2 users Like Snoopy8's post:
  • hkphantomgtr, JD1

(21-Nov-2020, 03:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: I am new to mpd and upmpdcli but very interested because MPD sounds great in my system but I hate the MPD interfaces I've tried (web and Apple).

upmpdcli seems like a solution but I'm now using a Telos server that incorporates a Pi 4 with an internal SSD. So my limitations are Buster form of Snakeoil and wanting server and client (player) on the same machine. Also really wanting an interface for iPad.

Currently with 1.1.10-arm, minimserver is not an option. If I select LMS as server then upmpdcli is not an available option as client. That's the original subject of this thread, I assume, but not sure, Snoopy, if you already have something working there. Also not sure if your SQ comparisons used a 2 box solution (upstream computer as server) and/or Buster version of Snakeoil?

Anyway, for me mpdv20 sounds best. Minimserver-upmpdcli sounds worse and LMS-upmpdcli sounds worse again. However, I could only test the latter 2 by switching to a 2 box set up, so not a controlled test.

For the future, I'd like to see all options available for 1 box set up and given Minimserver will require payment and LMS seems to sound inferior when used with mpd, I wonder is there some other UPnP server that could be added to Snakeoil? Ideally, something minimalistic in terms of CPU usage.

Meanwhile, I'd take any suggestions for decent MPD controller for iPad.

Cheers,
JD

In my experience with SnakeOil till Feb 2020 (my fanless died), MPD with NFS produces the best sound.  Added upmdcli, even I don't use it, it already deteriorates the sound.  Of course, the sound is even worse if the playback needs to go thru it.  So, to me, upnp is convenient but not for audiophile.  Unluckily, now my stock streamer only support upnp, even it produces even better sound.  I seriously doubt that, if that stock stream supports nfs, and let I choose mpd as playback, then I'll be in somewhere is audio heaven.

For the MPD client in ipad, you may tri  yaMPC, & Rigelian.  They are good and bad in different aspects... haha.... MAFA is far better than them.  Again, my experience is only updated till this Feb 2020.  

Have fun! Smile

(21-Nov-2020, 06:38 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(21-Nov-2020, 03:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: ... because MPD sounds great in my system but I hate the MPD interfaces I've tried (web and Apple).
Fully agree, great sound, lousy interfaces. And i still dislike how MPD manage cover art.
(21-Nov-2020, 03:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: Anyway, for me mpdv20 sounds best. Minimserver-upmpdcli sounds worse and LMS-upmpdcli sounds worse again.
My experience is the same.
(21-Nov-2020, 03:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: Meanwhile, I'd take any suggestions for decent MPD controller for iPad.
Thanks to @hkphantomgtr I am using MAFA (Android). I assume you have tried
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rigelian/id1363775934
Quote:Fully agree, great sound, lousy interfaces. And i still dislike how MPD manage cover art.

In my experience, just let the mpd client to take care of the cover.  Because, if there is a pic embedded in the audio file, then the sound worsens.  If the pic is bigger, the sound is even worse.  The embedded cover art in audio file takes up space, too, esp. if the album contains 20-30 audio files.  I used to save the cover art as "cover.jpg", and "tell" the mpd client to use it. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • JD1

Sorry, forget to mention the "Best" desktop MPD client - CANTATA.  :D  https://github.com/CDrummond/cantata/releases

(22-Nov-2020, 11:17 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: In my experience, just let the mpd client to take care of the cover.  Because, if there is a pic embedded in the audio file, then the sound worsens.  If the pic is bigger, the sound is even worse.  The embedded cover art in audio file takes up space, too, esp. if the album contains 20-30 audio files.  I used to save the cover art as "cover.jpg", and "tell" the mpd client to use it. Smile

I was curious and compared my favourite piano piece (24/96 PCM from 2L), one track with no cover art, and one with a large cover art.  Did a blind test with the 2 tracks in RamDisk, could not tell the difference. Used MAFA App with Mpd 0.21.25.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

(23-Nov-2020, 08:08 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(22-Nov-2020, 11:17 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: In my experience, just let the mpd client to take care of the cover.  Because, if there is a pic embedded in the audio file, then the sound worsens.  If the pic is bigger, the sound is even worse.  The embedded cover art in audio file takes up space, too, esp. if the album contains 20-30 audio files.  I used to save the cover art as "cover.jpg", and "tell" the mpd client to use it. Smile

I was curious and compared my favourite piano piece (24/96 PCM from 2L), one track with no cover art, and one with a large cover art.  Did a blind test with the 2 tracks in RamDisk, could not tell the difference. Used MAFA App with Mpd 0.21.25.

Thanks for your sharing and let me repeat your test later.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • Snoopy8