When Not To Use Jumbo Frames
I’ll start by saying when you don’t need Jumbo Frames.
- If you store all your music files on the Snakeoil computer. You don’t need Jumbo Frames
- If you have no idea how networking works. Probably not a good idea to attempt this tweak until you’re more familiar, or find somebody who do
- If you’re using Raspberry Pi as your music streamer. As of this writing Jumbo Frames are not supported so it’s pointless to set this up. You would slow down the network with Jumbo Frames on
- If you’re using switches that do not support Jumbo Frames. Setting this up will kill network connectivity
- If your NAS and streaming PC are not using Intel network cards
Comment from: Did Visitor
"In my next article, I will setup the minimum equipment you’ll need for a Jumbo Frame enabled network. The article will also detail the steps you need to take to enable Jumbo Frames, and some basic diagnostics to ensure everything is working."
Yes! I wait this article with an high interest, we are at the beginning of local network optimization. Do you have a look to http://fasterdata.es.net/network-tuning/udp-tuning/?