Simple Door Bell
Here is an example of using a Wireless Switch for a doorbell. For some reason in Australia wireless doorchimes are very expensive. I purchased a AUD $30 unit (cheapest!) from Bunnings a while back and it gave me no end of trouble. The chime will either not work when somebody press the button, or it will ring but there’s nobody at the door (interference or somebody else is using the same channel).
The Gateway and a wireless were purchased on special for a princely sum of $40 and have no problems so far *touch wood*. Just remember to position your XiaoMi switch in a well sheltered location away from direct sunlight or rain. There is a risk the switch will be stolen by somebody though!
- Add a new Automation rule as described in page 5 of this tutorial.
- Specify the Trigger like so:
- You may want to set a condition here. Perhaps you like your beauty sleep and don’t want kids to prank at 3am in the morning. The following condition means the door bell only works from 8am to 8pm everyday:
- Specify the Action like so. Feel free to adjust the volume (ringtone_vol) to the preferred sound level you prefer:
The ringtone_id are as follows, you can even create your own custom ones via the XiaoMi Home App.
Ringtone Type ringtone_id Description Alarms 0 Police car 1 1 Police car 2 2 Accident 3 Countdown 4 Ghost 5 Sniper rifle 6 Battle 7 Air raid 8 Bark Doorbells 10 Doorbell 11 Knock at a door 12 Amuse 13 Alarm clock Alarm clock 20 MiMix 21 Enthusiastic 22 GuitarClassic 23 IceWorldPiano 24 LeisureTime 25 ChildHood 26 MorningStreamLiet 27 MusicBox 28 Orange 29 Thinker 10000+ Your Custom Ring Tones
- Save the Automation. And you’re set.
Try this new Automation now and see how it goes.
Comment from: Diogo Visitor
in point 5, with version 2.66.2, I needed to press 5 times, or more, not in the blank area above the version, at the bottom of the screen
Comment from: Member
Thanks. Have updated the article.
Comment from: Juan Visitor
I dont understand step 2. How can i do this step?
Comment from: Member
Hi Juan, which step 2 are you referring to? Can you tell me the page # of the article you’re having problems with?