- Custom Kernel To Install Snakeoil OS
- Ubiquity Partitioning
Quick Start Guide
This is a quick start guide summarising the steps to download, install and configure Snakeoil OS.
Before We Start
Here are some things you need know before hand:
- Snakeoil is designed, tested and run on Atom based Mini-ITX motherboards. Other configurations will work but is not tested thoroughly.
- Only the most popular on-board network cards are supported out of the box. Please refer to this section to install a custom install kernel if your network card is not in this list:
- Broadcom Tigon3
- Intel E1000E/E1000
- Realtek 8169
- Atheros AR815x/AR816x/AR817x
- Your computer needs to be acquire an IP address from your router (or DHCP server) during the first installation. After Snakeoil OS is installed you can assign a static IP address.
Follow these steps to install:
- Download the latest ISO:
File Download this if snakeoil-i686-1.0.0.iso You are using a computer that only executes 32 bit code snakeoil-x86_64-1.0.0.iso Everybody else
- Create the LiveCD (Read this if you havn't done this before)
- Connect the machine you want to install on a Network. Turn it on.
- If doing remote install - identify the IP address of the computer (or you can try the computer snakeoil) and remotely connect using VNC (Password is Password1)
- Follow the Ubiquity install wizard to install the OS onto a local storage, remove LiveCD and click the reboot button.
- Start a web browser from your computer and connect to the machine (http://new_machine_name_you_provided_earlier/)
- Go through all the tabs from left to right to configure Snakeoil
- Copy your files to new_machine_name_you_provided_earlier/music and your playlist to new_machine_name_you_provided_earlier/playlists
- Start your player remote control app
- Scan your music library
- Hit play
Here's a video walk-through of the installation process.