Snakeoil Firmware - 1.2.11 (Gear Isolation U11)
(11-Mar-2023, 01:33 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(11-Mar-2023, 01:20 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: If you're starting from the ordinary Ubuntu desktop distro, then please choose "Minimum Installation" for much unnecessary softwares.  
OK to use minimum install of desktop version. But I had issues using minimum install of 22.04 server version. SO would not run, but no idea why.

O..... Thanks for letting me know about this.  It's very helpful to me.  Guess what, recently I'm thinking to install from 22.04 Server if I have to install the SO again or someone else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • patricia1066

(11-Mar-2023, 01:20 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote:
(11-Mar-2023, 01:20 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: If you're starting from the ordinary Ubuntu desktop distro, then please choose "Minimum Installation" for much unnecessary softwares.  
OK to use minimum install of desktop version. But I had issues using minimum install of 22.04 server version. SO would not run, but no idea why.

Just don't use other than the standard server install. The minimum server install leaves out several packages needed for the Snakeoil GUI.
You can install those afterwards but best to use the standard install.
No need for the full Ubuntu desktop nor the minimal server.

Goldilocks !!  and the bears... just use the server version and the wiki
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...ller-shell

Download the legacy 20.04 server version and install it then upgrade to 22.04 then do the Snakeoil install.
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-legacy...4/release/   #Do select the ssh option within the install
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how...-to-22-04/

(11-Mar-2023, 03:37 PM)Bromf Wrote:

Just don't use other than the standard server install. The minimum server install leaves out several packages needed for the Snakeoil GUI.
You can install those afterwards but best to use the standard install.
No need for the full Ubuntu desktop nor the minimal server.

Goldilocks !!  and the bears... just use the server version and the wiki

Download the legacy 20.04 server version and install it then upgrade to 22.04 then do the Snakeoil install.
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-legacy...4/release/   #Do select the ssh option within the install
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how...-to-22-04/

Thanks, so tricky ,:⁠-⁠)

Just wanted to stop back in and say thanks to Agent Kith, Snoopy, and all the others who left tips. 

Have to say - this has come a long way since 2021.  Quite a painless experience getting Ubuntu 22.04lts low latency + Jriver 30 up and running today.  Had to dust a few cobwebs off the broken remember (older we get....lol) but this was very close to a plug'n'play "it just works" scenario.

Have a great weekend

Musicnut23
-------------------------------
Dell OptiPlex MFF 3050 i5
SO U11
JRiver MC 30
Schiit Bifrost MB w/gen 5 USB
Forte Model 2 Pre
Dynaco ST-70 Tube Amp / Hafler DH-120 SS Amp
Energy Connoisseur Series C-7
[-] The following 4 users Like musicnut23's post:
  • agent_kith, vinaymoturi, hkphantomgtr, Snoopy8

I reinstalled on the trusty T520 (the RAM fell out!) and am on 1.2.6.
Is there an alternative to updating .fw by browser as Firefox on MacOS and Chrome on ChromeOS all fail.

Talking of browsers, Safari wont open the Snakeoil webadmin, could this be a cloudflare issue? Firefox is fine as is Chrome on ChromeOS.

(05-Apr-2023, 06:37 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: I reinstalled on the trusty T520 (the RAM fell out!) and am on 1.2.6.
Is there an alternative to updating .fw by browser as Firefox on MacOS and Chrome on ChromeOS all fail.

Talking of browsers, Safari wont open the Snakeoil webadmin, could this be a cloudflare issue? Firefox is fine as is Chrome on ChromeOS.

Sideload Snakeoil Firmware - Snakeoil OS Reference (snakeoil-os.net)

Good Luck!
  • patricia1066

I noticed Safari defaults to https when trying to open the Snake oil page. Once I corrected this it opened.

(11-Mar-2023, 05:17 AM)musicnut23 Wrote: Hi there!  It's been over a year since I peeked into the Forums to check the status of everything, and even longer since I went through the install process.  Been running on 1.2.something with JRiver 27, but will be trying out the latest over the weekend.

I'm a little fuzzy on the install process.  Do I need to start with 1.2.6 and load every firmware update up-to and including 1.2.11, or does 1.2.11 include all the updates in-between?

Note:  This will be a clean install of Ubuntu 22.04LTS and SnakeOil on a seperate drive.  Not upgrading the existing setup.

If you're starting from the ordinary Ubuntu desktop distro, then please choose "Minimum Installation" for much unnecessary softwares.  

And then after successfully installed, please type a command to replace the kernel with the lowlatency kernel.  That will significantly improve sound quality in all aspects.

If you would like to further enhance the sound quality, of course the RT kernel is the best and you can directly install RT kernel from ordinary kernel, without installing Low Latency kernel.  But you need to go thru some more simple and straightforward steps.

And after everything is set, you may play around with the clocksource.  To me, HPET let me enjoy the sound much more than TSC.

Have fun! Shy

what is the command for replacing the kernel with lowlatency kernel

(12-Apr-2023, 02:14 PM)vinaymoturi Wrote:
(11-Mar-2023, 05:17 AM)musicnut23 Wrote: Hi there!  It's been over a year since I peeked into the Forums to check the status of everything, and even longer since I went through the install process.  Been running on 1.2.something with JRiver 27, but will be trying out the latest over the weekend.

I'm a little fuzzy on the install process.  Do I need to start with 1.2.6 and load every firmware update up-to and including 1.2.11, or does 1.2.11 include all the updates in-between?

Note:  This will be a clean install of Ubuntu 22.04LTS and SnakeOil on a seperate drive.  Not upgrading the existing setup.

If you're starting from the ordinary Ubuntu desktop distro, then please choose "Minimum Installation" for much unnecessary softwares.  

And then after successfully installed, please type a command to replace the kernel with the lowlatency kernel.  That will significantly improve sound quality in all aspects.

If you would like to further enhance the sound quality, of course the RT kernel is the best and you can directly install RT kernel from ordinary kernel, without installing Low Latency kernel.  But you need to go thru some more simple and straightforward steps.

And after everything is set, you may play around with the clocksource.  To me, HPET let me enjoy the sound much more than TSC.

Have fun! Shy

Code:
sudo apt install linux-lowlatency
  • vinaymoturi

(12-Apr-2023, 02:14 PM)vinaymoturi Wrote:

Have fun! Shy

And please don't forget to choose the low latency kernel in SO webui.