Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Noob question: How do I install SnakeoilOS on RPI?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi there. First post here.

Was it on this forum that someone described themselves as having Google Linux? That's me, but I've Googled and read this forum extensively for (ideally) a step-by-step on how to install SnakeoilOS on an RPi, but I'm stuck.

I've installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit) on an RPi 3B. I can SSH into it, but what do I do next? I'm using a Mac if that helps.

TIA
Welcome, Ugly! (Interesting name 🙂).

There is a Wiki. If you get stuck, please post...
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...ller-shell
(10-Dec-2022, 05:12 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, Ugly! (Interesting name 🙂).

There is a Wiki. If you get stuck, please post...
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...ller-shell

Thanks for your welcome, Snoopy8.

My name: I have a penchant for free jazz. Many years ago, a friend said to me: "You ain't gonna play any more of that ugly music, are you". And my forum name was born.

Yup. I've seen the wiki. I get stuck at:
Quote:Download the Snakeoil InstallerGo to the Snakeoil Forums and look for the latest Snakeoil installer. You can download the installer from a machine and copy it to your freshly installed computer with tools like scp. Or download the installer directly using tools like wget.
Upload Installer To Your Snakeoil PCThis requires a SSH server running on your Snakeoil PC.
Use a tool like WinSCP for the file transfer. Follow their guide on how to upload files.

I can download the latest Snakeoil installer to the Mac, but then I hit a brick wall of my Linux knowledge/experience. Sure, I can go and learn more about Linux, but I really want to play with Snakeoil before 2023  Smile .
(10-Dec-2022, 05:42 AM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I can go and learn more about Linux, but I really want to play with Snakeoil before 2023  Smile .
Unfortunately, WINScp is Windows only (and I use it!)

There is no avoiding getting into Linux commands, despite the best efforts of Agent Kith. You will have to develop some Goolge-Linux skills (Google and follow Linux commands!). I think this is what you should be doing (but I am not a Mac person, so doubly hard for me to help).

https://scriptingosx.com/2017/07/transfe...s-with-ssh

(10-Dec-2022, 06:03 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-Dec-2022, 05:42 AM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, I can go and learn more about Linux, but I really want to play with Snakeoil before 2023  Smile .
Unfortunately, WINScp is Windows only (and I use it!)

There is no avoiding getting into Linux commands, despite the best efforts of Agent Kith. You will have to develop some Goolge-Linux skills (Google and follow Linux commands!). I think this is what you should be doing (but I am not a Mac person, so doubly hard for me to help).

https://scriptingosx.com/2017/07/transfe...-with-ssh/

I have some pretty finely-honed Google Linux skills, but the SnakeoilOS installation instructions defeated me!

That link looks interesting. Thank you. I'll read it tomorrow when my brain isn't so tired  [Image: dead.gif] .
(10-Dec-2022, 06:34 AM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]I have some pretty finely-honed Google Linux skills, but the SnakeoilOS installation instructions defeated me!

That link looks interesting. Thank you. I'll read it tomorrow when my brain isn't so tired  [Image: dead.gif] .
Or maybe one of these tools?
 https://alternativeto.net/software/winscp/?platform=mac
(10-Dec-2022, 10:05 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-Dec-2022, 06:34 AM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]I have some pretty finely-honed Google Linux skills, but the SnakeoilOS installation instructions defeated me!

Thank you, @Snoopy8. I've possibly arrived there from another angle.

Thinking I have to transfer a file, I'd decided to have a poke around the three FTP clients I have on the Mac for my business. First stop, Filezilla (which is multi-platform, but that's probably not relevant). Looking at available protocols, I find SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol. Wow! I'd always understood SFTP as Secure FTP.

Anyhow, it seems a good chance that Filezilla will enable me to do what WinScp does for you. Fingers crossed. I'll report back.
(10-Dec-2022, 07:29 PM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-Dec-2022, 10:05 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you, @Snoopy8. I've possibly arrived there from another angle.

Thinking I have to transfer a file, I'd decided to have a poke around the three FTP clients I have on the Mac for my business. First stop, Filezilla (which is multi-platform, but that's probably not relevant). Looking at available protocols, I find SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol. Wow! I'd always understood SFTP as Secure FTP.

Anyhow, it seems a good chance that Filezilla will enable me to do what WinScp does for you. Fingers crossed. I'll report back.

A quick update: Filezilla did the job. I have an apparently working SnakeoilOS installation running.

However, I had a few error messages along the way that appear to be caused by me missing that I should be using Ubuntu on the RPi, not Raspberry Pi OS. I thought I saw someone here recommending RPiOS rather than the RPi Ubuntu. Anyhow, it looks like my bad. 

Next step, read up about which version of Ubuntu I should be installing, and try again!

Thanks for your help, @Snoopy8 .
(10-Dec-2022, 11:23 PM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]However, I had a few error messages along the way that appear to be caused by me missing that I should be using Ubuntu on the RPi, not Raspberry Pi OS. I thought I saw someone here recommending RPiOS rather than the RPi Ubuntu. Anyhow, it looks like my bad. 

Next step, read up about which version of Ubuntu I should be installing, and try again!

You should be using Raspbian for Pi... What error messages are you getting?
(11-Dec-2022, 02:08 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-Dec-2022, 11:23 PM)uglymusic Wrote: [ -> ]However, I had a few error messages along the way that appear to be caused by me missing that I should be using Ubuntu on the RPi, not Raspberry Pi OS. I thought I saw someone here recommending RPiOS rather than the RPi Ubuntu. Anyhow, it looks like my bad. 

You should be using Raspbian for Pi... What error messages are you getting?

Thanks, @agent_kith. I didn't make a note of the error messages, unfortunately. They referred to Ubuntu (or some part of Ubuntu) not being present. Hence I went back to the installation instructions, which say I should be using Ubuntu Server LTS. 

I flashed Ubuntu Server LTS from the Raspberry Pi installer. The RPi booted successfully, and I upgraded and updated Ubuntu using SSH. I then verified and installed SnakeoilOS without receiving error messages. But the installation failed to reboot successfully. 

So should I go back to using Raspian? I was planning a second Ubuntu-based install as I didn't get the error messages. 

I'm happier with Raspian, in a way, because it's a simpler version of Linux. It's just those Ubuntu-related error messages.

Edit: You quite clearly say that I should be using Raspian (Raspberry Pi OS). It'll probably be next weekend before I have any time to do a new install. I'll report back as soon as I do have the time.
Pages: 1 2 3