Cannot use SnakeOil on eee Box EB1036
Today i tried again to install SnakeOil on an eeeBox EB1036 (This one) that i have around...
Discovered that part of the problem i had was some RAM problem, so after be sure that the present ram was good, decided to try again.  Rolleyes
Also discovered that it has CRM (if i well remember the name) that allowed me to chose both UEFI and Legacy.

Did try to install SO and no success - even with that UEFI kernel from here
Managed to install both Linux lite and Ubuntu, from the same pendrive - for testing (couldn't before, because of the ram problem)
In the end did try to put the ssd i've been using in the sony vaio laptop (luckily wife been forgetting it  Smile ) and it started well there - i thought i had my problem solved , but... It doesn't seems to communicate with the network.

It shows an IP on the eeeBox monitor , but when i type it on the other pc in network to access SO, says "page not found"...
I suspect it may be some lack of network card drivers?
Would be really nice to use that small pc with SnakeOil  Wink
For now, until i reach that goal, i continue to use wife's vaio - hope she keeps forgetting it  LOL

As i sidenote, i found something "weird" regarding to it: Using MPD , as soon as i press play i hear an high pitch "electrical noise" from inside the laptop  Huh (Not in the speakers connected to the amplifier)
It's barely notable , but if i'm in silence in a certain head angle i can notice it. It stops if i press pause in MPD.
Even more curious is that it doesn't seems to do it with LMS and Squeezelite 1.6.4... Will report if i realize what may be that (Thought it could be a noisy cap, so added some "foam" on top of it, but kept hearing the noise.)

(30-Nov-2020, 03:31 PM)jose Wrote: Today i tried again to install SnakeOil on an eeeBox EB1036 (This one) that i have around...
Discovered that part of the problem i had was some RAM problem, so after be sure that the present ram was good, decided to try again.  Rolleyes
Also discovered that it has CRM (if i well remember the name) that allowed me to chose both UEFI and Legacy.

Managed to install both Linux lite and Ubuntu, from the same pendrive - for testing (couldn't before, because of the ram problem)
In the end did try to put the ssd i've been using in the sony vaio laptop (luckily wife been forgetting it  Smile ) and it started well there - i thought i had my problem solved , but... It doesn't seems to communicate with the network.

It shows an IP on the eeeBox monitor , but when i type it on the other pc in network to access SO, says "page not found"...
For now, until i reach that goal, i continue to use wife's vaio - hope she keeps forgetting it  LOL
If you see a IP on the console, it usually means the network is working. What URL are you using? Because there are no certicates, the URL should begin with http:// and not https://

The next iteration of Snakeoil will be easier. All you do is to install Ubuntu (or any debian based system), and then download the Snakeoil installer to get your Snakeoil working.

(30-Nov-2020, 03:31 PM)jose Wrote: As i sidenote, i found something "weird" regarding to it: Using MPD , as soon as i press play i hear an high pitch "electrical noise" from inside the laptop  Huh (Not in the speakers connected to the amplifier)
It's barely notable , but if i'm in silence in a certain head angle i can notice it. It stops if i press pause in MPD.
Even more curious is that it doesn't seems to do it with LMS and Squeezelite 1.6.4... Will report if i realize what may be that (Thought it could be a noisy cap, so added some "foam" on top of it, but kept hearing the noise.)
That's the way SMPS works unfortunately. I'm using a mini PCI-e to 1x PCI-e and it also has the high pitch noise. I'm not sure what is causing it, but it's an annonyance.. e.g. if you have a USB charger, on it's own there's no issue, but then it starts to generate noise when you're charging a phone... This is a common issue on powerboards with USB ports. All the ones I have emit this annonying noise when I use it.

Something is vibrating, just not sure what. Other things emit the same kind of noise, e.g. this: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/news/under-t...-backlight
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(30-Nov-2020, 03:47 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(30-Nov-2020, 03:31 PM)jose Wrote: Today i tried again to install SnakeOil on an eeeBox EB1036 (This one) that i have around...

If you see a IP on the console, it usually means the network is working. What URL are you using? Because there are no certicates, the URL should begin with http:// and not https://

The next iteration of Snakeoil will be easier. All you do is to install Ubuntu (or any debian based system), and then download the Snakeoil installer to get your Snakeoil working.
(30-Nov-2020, 03:31 PM)jose Wrote: As i sidenote, i found something "weird" regarding to it: Using MPD , as soon as i press play i hear an high pitch "electrical noise" from inside the laptop  Huh (Not in the speakers connected to the amplifier)
That's the way SMPS works unfortunately. I'm using a mini PCI-e to 1x PCI-e and it also has the high pitch noise. I'm not sure what is causing it, but it's an annonyance.. e.g. if you have a USB charger, on it's own there's no issue, but then it starts to generate noise when you're charging a phone... This is a common issue on powerboards with USB ports. All the ones I have emit this annonying noise when I use it.

Something is vibrating, just not sure what. Other things emit the same kind of noise, e.g. this: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/news/under-t...-backlight

Thanks for fast answer. Smile
I think the IP was somehow remembered from the previous usage, and not a real one. I used the same way i did before, just with http://

Look forward for the next method. It seems easier to deal with, but will that not install some unneeded services and other stuff? Or will SO take care of disabling everything that is not needed for it to work?
During other "inspiration day with spare time" i think i will try once again. Or if you're near to have next version of SO ready, maybe i'll just wait a bit. Not trying to rush you, but do you have any idea when it could be out?

About the noise, the funny thing is that it doesn't seems to have the same behavior with LMS + Squeezelite... (Honestly i cannot hear it happening with that combo)
In the past it happened with an usb charger, but in the oposite - noise when not in use , but plugged, noise stops when charging phone...

Another doubt - Other than speed loading things, does distinct computer hardware make changes in the sound if using external dac? (CPU, RAM, and so on)