ZimaBoard 2x NIC, 2x SATA, 2x USB, 1x PCIe-4x
Finally got my hands on a Zimaboard 832. That's 8GB DDR4 with 32GB storage. 

[Image: Zima-Board-832.png]
This is likely going to be my primary x86_64 rig moving forward. Will be looking for a USB to SFP dongle to isolate this bad boy and slot in a PCI-e USB card. Looking for base mounting options - I'm either going with Ikea "Chopping board", or a thick glass base (hopefully iron free). Just have to wait for some free time to order all the parts and also to set things up.

Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Bromf

I've been watching NAS-build videos on YouTube for that thing. 

I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with it, but your use-case will be different, of course.

Interesting item.   The PCI-E sets it aside from other SBC such as latest HP thin-clients but Pi5 has this.
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t630/

Though the HP-T610 Plus has PCI-E and I use these as servers....only dual-core but fast enough with an ssd and plenty of I/O
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t610/

Just bought a second hand one of these...Dell Embedded Box PC 500016GB DDR4

(24-Oct-2023, 02:02 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I've been watching NAS-build videos on YouTube for that thing. 

I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with it, but your use-case will be different, of course.
I'm exited to try out too.. Hopefully I don't blow it up. Didn't realise what a great deal AUD$150 was. They're over $480 at AliExpress and over $680 in Amazon. I thought KickStarter prices were about USD$199 for the 832?

(25-Oct-2023, 02:48 PM)Bromf Wrote: Interesting item.   The PCI-E sets it aside from other SBC such as latest HP thin-clients but Pi5 has this.
Unfortunately can't get my hands on the Pi5 until at least in the new year. It's a good thing I can, will wait and see if there's any bugs in the first revision.

(25-Oct-2023, 02:48 PM)Bromf Wrote: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t630/

Though the HP-T610 Plus has PCI-E and I use these as servers....only dual-core but fast enough with an ssd and plenty of I/O
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t610/

Just bought a second hand one of these...Dell Embedded Box PC 500016GB DDR4
Aliexpress has some small computers (Topton, Beelink) that's also very interesting. Some models have thunderbolt output which opens the doors to expansion. Probably good for folks who needs CPU grunt for DSP and small/quiet form factor.

@agent_kith I installed SO on the cheapest beelink on Amazon and of course it's overkill for LMS but it is the bees knees 😍 for puddletag using x-forwarding.
There's nvme m.2 slot populated with 500g and a sata 2.5 cage. 16G RAM.
Beelink S Mini N100 for £166
[-] The following 1 user Likes patricia1066's post:
  • agent_kith

(24-Oct-2023, 08:21 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Finally got my hands on a Zimaboard 832. That's 8GB DDR4 with 32GB storage. 

This is likely going to be my primary x86_64 rig moving forward. Will be looking for a USB to SFP dongle to isolate this bad boy and slot in a PCI-e USB card. Looking for base mounting options - I'm either going with Ikea "Chopping board", or a thick glass base (hopefully iron free). Just have to wait for some free time to order all the parts and also to set things up.

For base mounting options, Ikea chopping board is good.  Yet I'd suggest to use thick acrylic sheet will be much better than thick glass sheet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith

(30-Nov-2023, 08:28 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: @agent_kith I installed SO on the cheapest beelink on Amazon and of course it's overkill for LMS but it is the bees knees 😍 for puddletag using x-forwarding.
I have a Beelink GR9. Love the Beelink products. Newer models have thunderbolt port and that will enable PCI-e output. These units will be a beast for DSP (amongst other things).

Unsure why but just couldn't find any coupons or discounted prices on this during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale on aliexpress. Maybe it's because I'm a n00b but missed the boat entirely on getting a second unit. Sad

(30-Nov-2023, 11:37 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: For base mounting options, Ikea chopping board is good.  Yet I'd suggest to use thick acrylic sheet will be much better than thick glass sheet.
Oh of course! Thanks for that pointer, acrylic is less prone to vibration transfer... Yet to fire this baby up though. Past few weeks just flew by like a blur.

(02-Dec-2023, 07:13 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(30-Nov-2023, 08:28 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: @agent_kith I installed SO on the cheapest beelink on Amazon and of course it's overkill for LMS but it is the bees knees 😍 for puddletag using x-forwarding.
I have a Beelink GR9. Love the Beelink products. Newer models have thunderbolt port and that will enable PCI-e output. These units will be a beast for DSP (amongst other things).

Unsure why but just couldn't find any coupons or discounted prices on this during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale on aliexpress. Maybe it's because I'm a n00b but missed the boat entirely on getting a second unit. Sad

(30-Nov-2023, 11:37 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: For base mounting options, Ikea chopping board is good.  Yet I'd suggest to use thick acrylic sheet will be much better than thick glass sheet.
Oh of course! Thanks for that pointer, acrylic is less prone to vibration transfer... Yet to fire this baby up though. Past few weeks just flew by like a blur.

You're welcome.  BTW, I'd like to suggest that stacking the chopping board or thick acrylic sheet on the hifi rack directly, rather than lifting up with spike and discs or whatever.  Because stacking directing on the rack can damp the resonance of the rack together with vibration isolation.  That will help other equipment at the same time.  And so far I've tried thick "soft" plastic  chopping board vs Ikea bamboo chopping board.  Ikea's bamboo chopping board yields better result in my setup.  And if you can select the board in person in Ikea, pls. choose the one that makes lower tone when you knock it. 

And only go for the Ikea bamboo chopping board in the below pic, as it's laminated in different direction.  That's more effective to absorb vibration.  You'll see the difference if your setup is sensitive enough.

Have fun!  Big Grin

[Image: 140036s75emyy1cqm1mzcp.png]

[Image: 165020dofnno3tkzfr2tso.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith

(02-Dec-2023, 11:47 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: And only go for the Ikea bamboo chopping board in the below pic, as it's laminated in different direction.  That's more effective to absorb vibration.  You'll see the difference if your setup is sensitive enough.
Yeah. I am using those bamboo chopping board. They're really good, even in my setup that's fully solid state.

I do isolate some of my gear though, but with a special (and cheap) device. It's alum base with some carbon fibre looking ring on top. The brand is MS Audio. This unit is really effective but I only have 12 of them and they're all used up now so can't use that for the PC. That thing really works, but only if the equipment has some weight on it. In time I will re-update my setup pics. Until then I guess now it's time for me to take a rest and take an early night.

Hopefully I can wake up early tomorrow and continue with some stuffs.
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066, hkphantomgtr

(24-Oct-2023, 08:21 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Finally got my hands on a Zimaboard 832. That's 8GB DDR4 with 32GB storage. 

Hey, AK, did you install ubuntu server and SO on this new gear?  From the web info there is hpet inside.  And it can let ubuntu installed and run on it as normal pc.  And how about the latency?
Thanks  Big Grin