DACs And Motherboards Working With Snakeoil
Currently enjoying the best SQ ever, playing from Idealish server > JRiver28 Linux > JCAT USB XE card > Curious Cable > Holo May 3 Kitsune DAC.

Very awesome it is too. Bass is astonishing, separation (image) also.

So good when it works!

(30-Dec-2021, 04:58 PM)BioBrian Wrote: Currently enjoying the best SQ ever, playing from Idealish server > JRiver28 Linux > JCAT USB XE card > Curious Cable > Holo May 3 Kitsune DAC.

Very awesome it is too. Bass is astonishing, separation (image) also.

So good when it works!
Apologies for the "when it works" part. Hopefully the future updates will make things easier and better. But one can only hope.

Past 2 years is just plain weird to be honest, and I'm not sure if this year is gonna be any better (I can be very superstitious at times, and when bad things come, they usually come in 3).

When things are not working, I'll do my best to fix 'em.. That's gonna be my resolution for this new year. Big Grin
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • BioBrian

Oh dear, it should be me apologizing for the "when it works" part. I didn't mean any criticism at all.

The handshakes do seem easier with this new DAC, and I'm supposing it's got something to do with it needing the 5V DC in the USB cable?

But the handshake goes cold quite often still, like every few days I'll find no music getting to the preamp, with no apparent reason. Our power cuts quite often, and that's one obvious cause. JRiver has its own complexity, and way of letting me know it's "not happy Jan".

I sometimes wonder though, how many of us appreciate the dependence upon a rather extreme amount of computer nowse, just to play a bit of music - so far from the original "turn on the wireless" or "put on a nice record, would you sweetheart".

With digital the number of things that can stop the music is in the dozens, and most of them take a good amount of learning and upskilling to keep on top of. Not to mention a good memory  Confused .

You've done wonderful things AK, thanks again, and I don't see that your New Year Resolution above is any change from the past!

Chuck the superstitions where they belong, and stay positive (and Covid negative, I suppose I have to say); I hope you have a great year.

(01-Jan-2022, 03:56 PM)BioBrian Wrote: Oh dear, it should be me apologizing for the "when it works" part. I didn't mean any criticism at all.

The handshakes do seem easier with this new DAC, and I'm supposing it's got something to do with it needing the 5V DC in the USB cable?
I remember noticing that issue when I was trouble shooting your setup the last time. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is to be honest but it seems to be related to the USB card. Do you have another slot or computer to test that on?

(01-Jan-2022, 03:56 PM)BioBrian Wrote: But the handshake goes cold quite often still, like every few days I'll find no music getting to the preamp, with no apparent reason. Our power cuts quite often, and that's one obvious cause. JRiver has its own complexity, and way of letting me know it's "not happy Jan".
I actually have thoughts of moving to Tassie about 8 months ago. (You'll understand why if you're ever here in Perth and tried the potatoes here).

(01-Jan-2022, 03:56 PM)BioBrian Wrote: I sometimes wonder though, how many of us appreciate the dependence upon a rather extreme amount of computer nowse, just to play a bit of music - so far from the original "turn on the wireless" or "put on a nice record, would you sweetheart".

With digital the number of things that can stop the music is in the dozens, and most of them take a good amount of learning and upskilling to keep on top of. Not to mention a good memory  Confused .

You've done wonderful things AK, thanks again, and I don't see that your New Year Resolution above is any change from the past!

Chuck the superstitions where they belong, and stay positive (and Covid negative, I suppose I have to say); I hope you have a great year.
My primary setup shown in the showcase thread is pretty reliable. It just works, and plays beautiful music (almost) every time. I've been busy the past 2 months setting up a new NAS and that brought the system up another level (slightly), bringing more clarity, and improved imaging. I am stoked, and also confused at the same time. Big Grin Been working on a blog post on this but sadly I have a feeling it's already going to get out of date with how fast times are changing these days.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Quote:@AK..(I can be very superstitious at times, and when bad things come, they usually come in 3)
Another is "A good year is followed by a bad year is followed by a good year"
...so if you had a poor last year then yippee this one will be great.!
Quote:@BioBrian  something to do with it needing the 5V DC in the USB cable?
Make yourself one of these and never look back...
https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/221_diy_usb_e.html