Snakeoil Installer - 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
Introduction
It's been nearly 3 years. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) serves us well. However it has been EOL'ed last week. Time for something new. We have decided to ditch the LiveCD ISO installer and move with a installer method instead. The shell installer potentially can expand Snakeoil into other non-debian systems, but we shall have to wait and see how that pans out in the future.

For now, lo-and-behold - Snakeoil 1.2.0. Code name Gear Isolation. Why gear isolation you may ask? Well, I believe gear Isolation can bring audio benefits to all audio gear, including solid state electronics! The benefits from gear isolation are:
  • Improved clarity
  • More focuses sound stage
This is the opposite of coupling electronics to it's platform (tight coupling). So effectively gear isolation is on the opposite spectrum of coupling; where attempts are made to de-couple (isolate/float) the electronics from the foundation it is resting on. I have very good experience using carbon fibre feet, and will in time explore other means (e.g. CF discs).

Back to Snakeoil, please refer to this wiki article on how to setup your computer, and then install Snakeoil. This is a big change, and of note especially is Logitech Media Server is a fresh installation, so you will need to configure it when you first start it up. Did not manage to document the steps yet, but will attempt to do so this weekend.

Biggest change? SnakeoilOS will now work on EFI computers!
[Image: admire.gif]
What else? 32 bit support for AMD/Intel x86 CPUs have been dropped. From here on it's 64 bits only on computers. Raspberry Pi will still be 32 bits though.

Known Issues
This is a big change and a huge release, I'm sure there will be tons of issues that need ironing out. Check back here soon as bugs/issues are discovered.
  1. Logitech Media Server requires configuration on fresh install. Documentation coming soon.
  2. PulseAudio seems to be interfering with LMS Raspberry Pi. SSH into the Raspberry Pi, and run the following commands. Restart Pi and see how it goes.
    Code:
    sudo apt purge -y pulseaudio
  3. If you encounter various 404 errors, please SSH and run these commands:
    Code:
    sudo lighttpd-enable-mod rewrite
    sudo service lighttpd force-reload
  4. MyMPD is not working. Upload this module to fix.
  5. LogitechMedia Server is not working on newer Raspbian OS (Bullseye). Update to 8.2.0 to fix. Download this file and drop it in the "Install box" under the System menu. [Download]

Change log
Downloads
.sh   snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-armv7l.sh (Size: 116.93 MB / Downloads: 395)
(SHA1: 43f5faff164c11fe51d6fac863ecd8540d18bb2e)
.sh   snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-x86_64.sh (Size: 103.68 MB / Downloads: 880)
(SHA1: 6353349a9016346326f23c2be25e39a58b859d22)
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 8 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • kukaracha72, m@jor, Bromf, patricia1066, koko6969koki, hkphantomgtr, mkysimes, jose

Hello ...

excited this is out ...  I know this has been an effort

I'm getting  " You do not have permission to access this page. " on download attempt.

Can you help

T
[-] The following 1 user Likes Coacharnold's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

(06-May-2021, 09:06 PM)Coacharnold Wrote: I'm getting  " You do not have permission to access this page. " on download attempt.
Can you try again? Hopefully that'll work now?

GOT IT !!!!!

Thank you !!!

Ok ....

Ran the script,  it completed.  I rebooted my machine and am not getting the web interface.

I re-ran the script to see what would happen (which I think was a mistake).

I get this output 
 + Install Snakeoil RestAPI server... OK
  + Installing Snakeoil blob, please be patient... ALSA lib conf.c:3725Sadsnd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/local/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib control.c:1471Sadsnd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
aplay: device_list:283: control open (0): No such file or directory
./snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-x86_64.sh: line 383:  8709 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /tmp/snakeoil-rest --recover=${BLOB_FILE} > /tmp/snakeoil-install.log
ERROR
# Cleaning up tmp files... OK
# Install aborted with errors!

I'm hoping this is just because everything was already complete.   I'm still not getting the web server.  Do we have to specify the port?

Tnx

T

(06-May-2021, 09:24 PM)Coacharnold Wrote: GOT IT !!!!!

Thank you !!!

Ok ....

Ran the script,  it completed.  I rebooted my machine and am not getting the web interface.

I re-ran the script to see what would happen (which I think was a mistake).

I get this output 
 + Install Snakeoil RestAPI server... OK
  + Installing Snakeoil blob, please be patient... ALSA lib conf.c:3725Sadsnd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/local/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib control.c:1471Sadsnd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
aplay: device_list:283: control open (0): No such file or directory
./snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-x86_64.sh: line 383:  8709 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /tmp/snakeoil-rest --recover=${BLOB_FILE} > /tmp/snakeoil-install.log
ERROR
# Cleaning up tmp files... OK
# Install aborted with errors!

I'm hoping this is just because everything was already complete.   I'm still not getting the web server.  Do we have to specify the port?

Tnx

T

Ok ... seems,  I had installed apache ... as soon as I stopped the apache2 service, the web interface came right up
[-] The following 2 users Like Coacharnold's post:
  • Bromf, agent_kith

Hi, nice move to uefi devices, i begin to test gear isolation on my innuos zenith mk3 (with a small SSD instead the big one). The result is interesting compare to innuOS and adjustements and tweaks are possible.
The SQ seems to be very close to innuOS (LMS) but clearly one head upper HQPlayer embbeded (even with an heavy DSD conversion) or jplayfemto that i tested before. Very nice work, thanks!

(06-May-2021, 09:24 PM)Coacharnold Wrote: Ok ... seems,  I had installed apache ... as soon as I stopped the apache2 service, the web interface came right up
Interesting. Is this the same issue you listed here? Good that you have resolved that. Will see if I can find a good way to trap and show this error to the end user.

Kind of difficult with a WebApp, but perhaps another tool? Think Good time for me to pick up new dev skills (I'm interested to learn flutter), but time management is still an issue. Confused

(08-May-2021, 03:40 AM)Evach Wrote: Hi, nice move to uefi devices, i begin to test gear isolation on my innuos zenith mk3 (with a small SSD instead the big one). The result is interesting compare to innuOS and adjustements and tweaks are possible.
The SQ seems to be very close to innuOS (LMS) but clearly one head upper HQPlayer embbeded (even with an heavy DSD conversion) or jplayfemto that i tested before. Very nice work, thanks!
That's great to hear. There are two major obstacles that may hinder the SQ:
  1. Unnecessary services/processes running
  2. Kernel
The first release of Gear Isolation is focused on getting the infrastructure and the new design up and working. Although early, great to see positive results so far. With this out of the way now, I can then focus on the above two. Now that will require more work to the WebApp, and a new website for kernel building. Unsure how long that'll take though.

Hopefully you guys can help spread the goodness of Snakeoil far and wide. Most users/activities in this project can hopefully bring more revenue, and with more revenue means I can potentially dedicate more time on this project.

Gear Isolation is only released because I quit my day job for a few months at the end of last year. Imagine how good Snakeoil can be if I can do this full time. Imagine the potential if I start writing my own music player :p.

Dreams.. LOL LOL
[-] The following 4 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066, koko6969koki, Coacharnold, hkphantomgtr

(08-May-2021, 08:08 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(08-May-2021, 03:40 AM)Evach Wrote:  
The first release of Gear Isolation is focused on getting the infrastructure and the new design up and working. Although early, great to see positive results so far. With this out of the way now, I can then focus on the above two. Now that will require more work to the WebApp, and a new website for kernel building. Unsure how long that'll take though.

Interesting and encouraging for the future, it seems innuOS use virtualization on RAM to acheive a really good SQ. It would be done "relatively" easily with ubuntu server i guess.
About kernel option, i test NOLAPIC yesterday but a big crash appear after reboot and now i have to made a full install again, it was not a good idea to choose this option Think. Do you know any good advice pages to perform SQ tweaks for ubuntu?
After testing period, i will post messages on french forums about snakeoil OS and its possibilities. In case of, it you would be very nice if you can participate a little to these threads afterwards  Wink

Good listenings!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Evach's post:
  • agent_kith

(08-May-2021, 03:12 PM)Evach Wrote: Interesting and encouraging for the future, it seems innuOS use virtualization on RAM to acheive a really good SQ. It would be done "relatively" easily with ubuntu server i guess.
Is virtualisation on RAM the same as running the entire OS on RAM?

We cannot known the details of innuOS configuration, all i saw is:

1) some KVM messages during boot
2) Improvement of SQ and reactivity when i activate virtualization's hardware acceleration options in bios

Then i conclude they use virtualization for this OS.
In addition, Innuos say all music files are store in 4Go of ram before playing, are they create a ramdisk for that in addition? I have no idea
[-] The following 2 users Like Evach's post:
  • agent_kith, Snoopy8