Why do a backup of SnakeOil ?
Why do a backup? Isn't it easier to re-install SnakeOil?  But for me, a re-install of a vanilla SnakeOil ISO image, plus firmware is not enough to get back to where I am.

My SnakeOil instance has MinimServer 0.8 and LMS 8.0, a number of music libraries on NAS plus using CPUset and RAMDisk. I am still on 16.04 and like the sound quality. With the upcoming 20.04 release, I would like the option of going back quickly to 16.04 if required. 

Others may have music on their SnakeOil instance and want to back it up (if you do, please remove media/* from rsync command in link below).  Yet others are using one off ISOs, applied updates, patches to fix problems etc.  

Hence, been using the following article to help me back up SnakeOil.
https://ostechnix.com/backup-entire-linu...ing-rsync/

@agent_kith, would it be possible to add Backup and Restore on a local USB drive to the list of commands in the System tab?
[-] The following 2 users Like Snoopy8's post:
  • agent_kith, PKay

(03-Dec-2020, 07:17 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: @agent_kith, would it be possible to add Backup and Restore on a local USB drive to the list of commands in the System tab?
This is a great idea. Have created a ticket to track this. I guess to make this feature useful, the code has to be in the current release (i.e. 1.1.x). Will work on this, and push out a 1.1.x (Blind Testing update) once I get the bascis of 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation) installer out of way.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • PKay, Snoopy8

Not sure how many have used the backup and restore feature in 1.1.11 but it is useful when testing & trying things.  I have used it when testing Gear Isolation Alpha, allowing me to install and re-install different versions of SnakeOil.  It saves settings on SnakeOil including your activation code, library mounts, Mpd database etc.  It could do with the following enhancements (some were reported in 1.1.11 thread but listed here for completeness).
  • In Activated version, list of music players selected by user, CPUset;  not using Kernel, process priority, so have not checked.
  • Playlist folder
  • Settings for the 2 main players,  Mpd & LMS
  • Mpd
    • Understand that database is backed up
    • MyMpd web player and its settings; e.g. MyMpd has a "Smart List" option which pollutes the Playlist folder, would like this setting to backed up and restored
  • LMS
    • LMS database?
    • Version of LMS used (backed up & restored; currently it uses whatever version is on image).
    • Login to MySqueezebox.com
    • Plugins enabled and their settings (e.g. UPnP Bridge settings)
    • LMS web player and its settings
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • agent_kith

Good idea.

Added a ticket (https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna...issues/189) to track this.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!