[SOLVED] Ongoing status updates with new UI for Gear Isolation
Trying to merge development code back into build code now. Unsure if that'll work to be honest, will check back later if this succeed and start merging the back end bits.

WebApp wise, this is the number of lines added (+), and removed (-).

[Image: Merging-Web-App.jpg]

To be honest, it's a great feeling to get the WebApp code updated to the latest Angular standard. And I certainly hope it will not mysteriously fail to compile again in the future... :/ Have removed a lot of dependencies, so while I can rule things being broken again, at least the odds should be lower.

Now to start finding something on YouTube to watch while I wait for the automated builds to finish.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • koko6969koki

First alpha is out last Sunday (Perth time). Yes it is an early release, just to showcase the new UI really.

Spent my spare time over the past 2 days doing playing cleaning up. Specifically trying to fix translations:
  1. Look for orphaned translations texts (defined in JSON file but no longer used in code)
  2. Look for translations that exist in one language, but not another
  3. Fix transcription typos in code
This is pretty difficult to do manually. so I written up a quick python script to automatic this check.

Took about 3 hours to write the script. So far so good, fixed some typos, found 131 orphaned translations, and 281 keys that either exist in one language, but not the other.

It will take a couple of days to clean all this up.

Good thing is this python script will now be incorporated into the pre commit stage and form part of pre-commit testing, so problems like this will be automatically detected and the developer will be forced to fix it.

What amazes me most is time taken to complete this check.
PHP Code:
real    0m0.085s
user    0m0.074s
sys    0m0.004s 

I did not attempt to optimise this code, but did not expect this to run in such a short time (This is done on the Ryzen, Pi is about 2x slower).

To be honest I'm somewhat amazed at how fast computers are these days, and how efficient regular expressions searches can be. Doing this on older computers, and without the use of regular expressions would have taken longer.

Anyway, that's it for tonight. Rest of the week will probably be spent on cleaning up the translations. Then I will start to clear off all the un-finished tasks in 1.2.2, fix some display issues, and release the next alpha.
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066, koko6969koki

Still a work in progress. Have tweaked some of the pages now, latest update in https://demo.snakeoil-os.net.

Things still to do:
  1. Clean up/re-vamp music players menu
  2. Clean up Snakeoil menus
  3. Clean up Browse menus
  4. Fix returning to previous menu doesn't scroll to top of page.
  5. Finish up navigation side bar (mini version, and not visible on portrait mode)
  6. Finish up wizards
There's still a major bug. Display ain't quite right if you rotate the screen from landscape to portrait and vice versa. This is a problem when in music players, when everything is out of whack when you flick. Reloading the screen will fix it. Seems the "resolution change" hook isn't working as expected. Will clean that up also.

Comments on the GUI and let me know what needs to be improved. Please speak up.

On a side note. NBN is supposed to allow for FTTN upgrades to FTTP from yesterday. AFAIK that's not happening yet. And to cut costs I have shaved my upload bandwidth to 10 Mbps. And man at that low speed it's really difficult to even upload small files like the WebApp online (Only 8 MB!). Push comes to shove may actually have to pay even more money to increase this upload speed. Australia Internet is really ridiculous. Sad
  • patricia1066, koko6969koki

(10-Nov-2021, 07:44 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Comments on the GUI and let me know what needs to be improved. Please speak up.

Great work!
Looks much much better now, the icons, color scheme and everything! Smile

(10-Nov-2021, 07:44 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Finish up navigation side bar (mini version, and not visible on portrait mode)

Yes please! Smile
As I already said earlier, it would be great if it is possible to keep the old GUI layout with the dashboard that has a fixed vertical zone on the left side with all of the icons that are available all the time.
It is much easier and more efficient to switch wizard, network, player, etc, pages with one click of the mouse, than being forced to click the "back" button, to go back and forth from the dashboard every time you wish to change the different setting's page.
[-] The following 2 users Like koko6969koki's post:
  • agent_kith, Snoopy8

Testing on iPhone SE2 the navigation is accurate, I can go back by dragging anywhere on left edge (standard navigation on iPhone and current full screen android) or reaching to the Main Menu. On large phones it's easier to drag as the top of the phone is a stretch. 

The change from portrait to landscape is smooth, frame fits to screen.

The theme of round lozenges is broken on the Snakeoil tweaks page. Screenshot of iPhone attached

On the Home page the icons are so large I have to scroll to choose. Now fixed. AK, you are quicker than lightning!

I prefer the navigation on the current mobile web, and it works well even on narrow portrait as the menu which advances across the page, jumps back once you choose. It's two clicks.

On the demo it's two clicks and scrolling - Click to the Main Menu; scroll down page, click icon. 

Is it possible to have a vertical menu stub along the left edge while also giving back dragging navigation? So a click makes the menu advance; dragging returns the last page.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes patricia1066's post:
  • Snoopy8

(12-Nov-2021, 02:35 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: Testing on iPhone SE2 the navigation is accurate, I can go back by dragging anywhere on left edge (standard navigation on iPhone and current full screen android) or reaching to the Main Menu. On large phones it's easier to drag as the top of the phone is a stretch. 

The change from portrait to landscape is smooth, frame fits to screen.

The theme of round lozenges is broken on the Snakeoil tweaks page. Screenshot of iPhone attached

On the Home page the icons are so large I have to scroll to choose. Now fixed. AK, you are quicker than lightning!
Thanks to my new job really. Without driving long distances, and no fatigue (or was it frustration?) from the driving I have up to 3 hours max a day now to work on Snakeoil.. Thanks for the feedback.

(12-Nov-2021, 02:35 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: I prefer the navigation on the current mobile web, and it works well even on narrow portrait as the menu which advances across the page, jumps back once you choose. It's two clicks.

On the demo it's two clicks and scrolling - Click to the Main Menu; scroll down page, click icon. 

Is it possible to have a vertical menu stub along the left edge while also giving back dragging navigation? So a click makes the menu advance; dragging returns the last page.
Yup the vertical menu is coming back... To be honest I didn't realise folks are using the WebApp that often. For myself I configure everything just once, and seldom ever go into the WebApp again. Big Grin But that's just me, hence I missed what is important to everybody else.

Unsure if I have the time to work on the code today as I am building a new NAS for my home. Things can either go very smoothly, or horribly wrong, I don't know what that's gonna be until I start opening packages. .Big Grin Will have to see how it goes.
  • koko6969koki, patricia1066

Check out https://demo.snakeoil-os.net

Dashboard and "Music Players" are not finished yet. But the rest should be almost good to go. Side menu is back. let me know how it goes. There still a bug with the side menu when in smaller screens. I'm gonna fix that later.

As mentioned above I'm playing around with a new server, and as usual, there are problems Confused ..

(16-Nov-2021, 07:02 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Check out https://demo.snakeoil-os.net

Dashboard and "Music Players" are not finished yet. But the rest should be almost good to go. Side menu is back. let me know how it goes. There still a bug with the side menu when in smaller screens. I'm gonna fix that later.

As mentioned above I'm playing around with a new server, and as usual, there are problems Confused ..
Side bar makes things faster to navigate, which is good.  Not sure whether you can make screens "less fat"?  Having to scroll down a page on a PC browser screen to access  the buttons is a pain!

On small screen iPhone se - landscape the side menu is scaled well and easy to use. 
In portrait there is no side menu, and perhaps its better that way on a narrow screen, as its easy to return to the dashboard. 
The dashboard in portrait has the lozenges, while in landscape they are large bars across the screen. 

My experience today (17/11/21) on macOS big sur was good. The Snakeoil tweaks section and sub-sections is well laid out, with access to the save button without scrolling. I like the new layout on Mac.

The landscape icons on dashboard are very large on landscape phone screen two across only, and on Mac they fill the screen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes patricia1066's post:
  • Snoopy8

(17-Nov-2021, 11:20 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Side bar makes things faster to navigate, which is good. Not sure whether you can make screens "less fat"? Having to scroll down a page on a PC browser screen to access the buttons is a pain!
Yes I can. Didn't eye-ball things properly as I was distracted. Didn't realise the side-bar now makes the other real estate smaller and pushed everything down. Will adjust that in the next update.

(17-Nov-2021, 09:02 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: On small screen iPhone se - landscape the side menu is scaled well and easy to use. 
In portrait there is no side menu, and perhaps its better that way on a narrow screen, as its easy to return to the dashboard. 
Yeah, that's correct. side-menu will be disabled when in portrait mode, and on small screens. You can still semi-navigate by clicking on the banner text at the top, but that's only when you are at the top.

(17-Nov-2021, 09:02 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: The dashboard in portrait has the lozenges, while in landscape they are large bars across the screen. 
I'm not sure I get you, can you explain further?

(17-Nov-2021, 09:02 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: The landscape icons on dashboard are very large on landscape phone screen two across only, and on Mac they fill the screen.
Missed that. Will address that in the next update.

Also, with music players, I'm thinking of switching to a single list with checkboxes. That may clean up the interface better, and makes it more flexible with different screen sizes. Hopefully I can get this done on the weekend, then it'll be alpha 2 time.
  • patricia1066, labo