Working on new Snakeoil release - 1.3.x (Codename Measurements)
Great news  , thank you @agent_kith , look forward aarm64 release.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luke 38's post:
  • uglymusic

Quick update on the aarch64 (Ubuntu 64bit for ARMv8)
  1. snakeoil RestAPI server. Done.
  2. Angular WebApp. Done.
  3. Squeezelite players. Done
  4. MPD players. Almost done (Still trying to get mpsd-dsd to build).
  5. New deployment services (partially hooked up)
Things are looking good, just a touch time consuming. Hope to get mpd-dsd resolved today, and then over the next few days I can concentrate on the new install script.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr, uglymusic

Quick update on the aarch64 (Ubuntu 64bit for ARMv8)
  1. snakeoil RestAPI server. Done.
  2. Angular WebApp. Done.
  3. Squeezelite players. Done
  4. MPD players. Almost done (Still trying to get mpsd-dsd to build).
  5. New deployment services (partially hooked up)
Things are looking good, just a touch time consuming. Hope to get mpd-dsd resolved today, and then over the next few days I can concentrate on the new install script.
[-] The following 3 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • Snoopy8, uglymusic, Valery

Raspberry Pi 5 is (almost) here: https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/

It may be a better option than a CM4. Or wait for the CM5?  Smile

(28-Sep-2023, 05:57 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Raspberry Pi 5 is (almost) here: https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/

Only way to find out is to get 'em.. I'm planning to get 2. Unfortunately seems the pre-orders are all gone and I have to wait. Anybody managed to successfully get one?

My setup is probably going to be Pi5 with the pci-e extension breakout to run the USB card (not available yet). And to a future CM5 once everything settles down.

Pretty sure bookworm is also out for Raspberry OS so I might get that up and running in due time too.. This build might take a while as I've ran out of USB 3 SSD caddies Big Grin.

Havn't had time to work on SnakeoilOS since last update as I've been home late most days. Anyhoo, back to work. More updates on Measurements work to follow hopefully.. Planning to go to our sponsor's (Sublime Hifi) to help him with some stuffs on one day of the coming weekend so realistically only have a few hours to work on Measurements. Still, I'm excited to read about the Pi 5 as honestly not expecting it this year!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • uglymusic

(29-Sep-2023, 08:02 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(28-Sep-2023, 05:57 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Raspberry Pi 5 is (almost) here: https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/

Only way to find out is to get 'em.. I'm planning to get 2. Unfortunately seems the pre-orders are all gone and I have to wait. Anybody managed to successfully get one?

My setup is probably going to be Pi5 with the pci-e extension breakout to run the USB card (not available yet). And to a future CM5 once everything settles down.

Pretty sure bookworm is also out for Raspberry OS so I might get that up and running in due time too.. This build might take a while as I've ran out of USB 3 SSD caddies Big Grin.

Havn't had time to work on SnakeoilOS since last update as I've been home late most days. Anyhoo, back to work. More updates on Measurements work to follow hopefully.. Planning to go to our sponsor's (Sublime Hifi) to help him with some stuffs on one day of the coming weekend so realistically only have a few hours to work on Measurements. Still, I'm excited to read about the Pi 5 as honestly not expecting it this year!
RPi 5 was a complete surprise, arriving this early. 

I appear to have missed the first batch, but I am in the second. Arrival is supposed to be November/December, with the nasty two-tone case  $ tongue I ordered one RPi 5 because I don't really need a second, and the rumoured 16GB version would be very useful for non-audio projects. 

I read that Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm is due mid-October, but I thought you were moving to Ubuntu for Measurements. 

The PCI-e connection is a great carrot, for sure.

(29-Sep-2023, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: RPi 5 was a complete surprise, arriving this early. 

I appear to have missed the first batch, but I am in the second. Arrival is supposed to be November/December, with the nasty two-tone case  $ tongue I ordered one RPi 5 because I don't really need a second, and the rumoured 16GB version would be very useful for non-audio projects. 
Can always use the extra DDR4X RAM as cache for music playback.

On notification list, can back-order from Mouser but that will incur a USD$40 shipping fee so decided against that.

Just have to wait.

(29-Sep-2023, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I read that Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm is due mid-October, but I thought you were moving to Ubuntu for Measurements. 
Ubuntu only for the 64 bit environment. Realistically one can install Snakeoil on both Raspberry Pi OS and Ubuntu because they are all Debian based systems. And with enough knowhow, even run 32 bit armv7 on aarch64. But let's forget I ever said that Tongue.

(29-Sep-2023, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: The PCI-e connection is a great carrot, for sure.
That, and the new south bridge un-blocking the USBs. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't need the Pi 5 here for others to try. Hope to have an early Measurements build sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately hit some sort of snag as somehow the build environment robot isn't talking to gitlab. Spent a few hours this Saturday morning on day job work so will look into fixing that soon. Good news is sometime next week (Monday US time) I will have a new guy joining me, when that happens hopefully I can step back and in turn will ensure I don't drain my energy by the end of the day. And that will mean more time for Snakeoil! To be honest I think I spent at most 4 hours listening to my Hifi in the past year. That has to change. Sad
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • uglymusic, Snoopy8

(30-Sep-2023, 08:39 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(29-Sep-2023, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: RPi 5 was a complete surprise, arriving this early. 

Can always use the extra DDR4X RAM as cache for music playback.

On notification list, can back-order from Mouser but that will incur a USD$40 shipping fee so decided against that.

Just have to wait.
(29-Sep-2023, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I read that Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm is due mid-October, but I thought you were moving to Ubuntu for Measurements. 
Ubuntu only for the 64 bit environment. Realistically one can install Snakeoil on both Raspberry Pi OS and Ubuntu because they are all Debian based systems. And with enough knowhow, even run 32 bit armv7 on aarch64. But let's forget I ever said that Tongue.
(29-Sep-2023, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: The PCI-e connection is a great carrot, for sure.
That, and the new south bridge un-blocking the USBs. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't need the Pi 5 here for others to try. Hope to have an early Measurements build sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately hit some sort of snag as somehow the build environment robot isn't talking to gitlab. Spent a few hours this Saturday morning on day job work so will look into fixing that soon. Good news is sometime next week (Monday US time) I will have a new guy joining me, when that happens hopefully I can step back and in turn will ensure I don't drain my energy by the end of the day. And that will mean more time for Snakeoil! To be honest I think I spent at most 4 hours listening to my Hifi in the past year. That has to change. Sad

Measurements is going to be installed on RPi 3, 4 and 5 here. If mine is the first RPi 5 on the forum, I'll give Measurements a go for you   Smile

Four hours of listening in a year? That's not good. You've gotta get that put right. FWIW, I listen all day, every day, just about. But I get very little time with my main system. I really need a listening room.

Good luck with moving SO along.

Just a thought. Why would I use 32-bit when 64-bit is available? Unless it sounds better, of course  Wink

(01-Oct-2023, 05:14 AM)uglymusic Wrote: Measurements is going to be installed on RPi 3, 4 and 5 here. If mine is the first RPi 5 on the forum, I'll give Measurements a go for you   Smile
Where did u order your Pi5 from?

(01-Oct-2023, 05:14 AM)uglymusic Wrote: Four hours of listening in a year? That's not good. You've gotta get that put right. FWIW, I listen all day, every day, just about. But I get very little time with my main system. I really need a listening room.
Well. It was kind of a shitty year. I do listen to music at work, just havn't really sit in the main room. Several reason. Been real busy, and after 3 years of staying here in Australia, I've kind of run out of new music, and wasn't in the mood to listen to my existing library. The thing is, most music don't really sound good on good hifi gear. It kind of makes my bad mood even worse when that happens. Spotify is out of the question as the quality is really bad. And yet to explore Tidal.

Early next year I'll fly again back to Singapore and Hong Kong. Time to spend money on new music again.

(01-Oct-2023, 05:14 AM)uglymusic Wrote: Good luck with moving SO along.
Thanks. Almost there now. Just need a good few hours to sit down and churn it out.

(01-Oct-2023, 05:14 AM)uglymusic Wrote: Just a thought. Why would I use 32-bit when 64-bit is available? Unless it sounds better, of course  Wink
That's the idea. Will try both and see if any is better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • uglymusic

(04-Oct-2023, 04:40 PM)agent_kith Wrote: And yet to explore Tidal.
Suggest Qobuz, and better than Tidal...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • uglymusic