LMS not able to play MP3
(02-Aug-2023, 04:42 AM)uglymusic Wrote: I bumped into this problem some months back with some of my MP3 files. There are forum threads that suggest that the problem is with 48khz MP3 files.

I also found this blog post that goes into some detail. Too much detail for me, though  Wink

Do you know if you have 48khz files?
MP3 is almost a distant memory now, but I'm fairly certain all MP3s are sampled at 48 kHz? There's also bitrate, 192 kbps, 384 kbps and so on.

I just need a file that I can re-create the problem on my setup. Once I have the problem, then can begin to fix it. Otherwise it's quite difficult to diagnose..
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(02-Aug-2023, 08:26 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(02-Aug-2023, 04:42 AM)uglymusic Wrote: I bumped into this problem some months back with some of my MP3 files. There are forum threads that suggest that the problem is with 48khz MP3 files.

I also found this blog post that goes into some detail. Too much detail for me, though  Wink

MP3 is almost a distant memory now, but I'm fairly certain all MP3s are sampled at 48 kHz? There's also bitrate, 192 kbps, 384 kbps and so on.

I just need a file that I can re-create the problem on my setup. Once I have the problem, then can begin to fix it. Otherwise it's quite difficult to diagnose..

I'm fairly sure I found some MP3 files that would play - I keep some MP3s that contain music that I can't find in FLAC.

I'll have a look and see what I have as soon as I have the time. It's some time since I hit this problem and I can't remember which files I'd said to myself I'd need to convert into a format I can play. Some, if not all, Apple format files won't play either.

The key point is, I think, that it's an LMS issue rather than a Snakeoil one.

(02-Aug-2023, 04:42 AM)uglymusic Wrote:
(15-Jul-2023, 07:56 AM)agent_kith Wrote: @davemHuh I wonder if there are different MP3 formats. I don't think there is but to be honest it's been such a long time since I looked at MP3s, and I don't have a big collection.

Can you upload a problem MP3 file you have somewhere and send me a DM to the link so I can try it out?

I bumped into this problem some months back with some of my MP3 files. There are forum threads that suggest that the problem is with 48khz MP3 files.

Sorry, have been away and missed this.

Thanks for the suggestion - I just checked the first one and the mp3 is already at 44.1kHz...

AgentKith - see this thread back on Nov 26th. (yes a long time ago). I have sent you a failing mp3 already. Let me know if you want me to resend. Regarding different formats, I sort of recall that there were issues with files with Var Bit Rates. I will see if I can find any notes.

(03-Aug-2023, 01:44 PM)davem Wrote: Sorry, have been away and missed this.

Thanks for the suggestion - I just checked the first one and the mp3 is already at 44.1kHz...

AgentKith - see this thread back on Nov 26th. (yes a long time ago). I have sent you a failing mp3 already. Let me know if you want me to resend. Regarding different formats, I sort of recall that there were issues with files with Var Bit Rates. I will see if I can find any notes.
No problems. Please re-send the file and I will try it out. thanks.

(06-Aug-2023, 09:29 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(03-Aug-2023, 01:44 PM)davem Wrote: Sorry, have been away and missed this.

No problems. Please re-send the file and I will try it out. thanks.

see here - https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...41#pid6041

You have already tested the mp3 file and it was ok on your system.. If you go over the thread I think that we got lost when I sent some log files. Perhaps I should regenerate them ?

@davem Yup, please generate the with the trace logs, so we can go over them. thanks.

(09-Aug-2023, 07:48 AM)agent_kith Wrote: @davem Yup, please generate the with the trace logs, so we can go over them. thanks.

Finally got back to this, I have been away a lot lately....I took another approach on a hunch and built a new clean system on an old hard drive.

I installed a fresh snakeoil and patched it to the latest. I copied a single mp3 to it and it worked fine.
I then installed Plex as a docker image and immediately it stopped working. This was before doing any config at all on Plex....Removed it and it started playing again.

So Plex appears to be the culprit. But curious why does it affect mp3 and not flac.
Any ideas on anything I could do to resolve it ? (aside from removing plex). I dont use plex much but its handy for home videos and photos. Prefer to keep it if I can.

On the old snakeoil, I had it installed as a package on Ubuntu and it worked fine, so I suspect it's particular to the docker install rather than plex in general.

Any thoughts/comments really appreciated.

(13-Oct-2023, 01:55 PM)davem Wrote: Any thoughts/comments really appreciated.
What? How is that possible? Huh Can you run "docker ps" so we can see what's exposed? Also I think "docker info".

By plex you mean the Plex server right? Not the player (I believe they started release a client for PCs again).

(14-Oct-2023, 04:51 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(13-Oct-2023, 01:55 PM)davem Wrote: Any thoughts/comments really appreciated.
What? How is that possible? Huh Can you run "docker ps" so we can see what's exposed? Also I think "docker info".

By plex you mean the Plex server right? Not the player (I believe they started release a client for PCs again).

Yes. Weird. Cant see anything of interest in the output. Really need to test this more when I get some time.. 
[edit: just tested and confirmed that the conflict is limited to LMS/sqeezelite. MPD works fine]

david@nuctest:~$ sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                COMMAND   CREATED         STATUS                   PORTS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 NAMES
a6483302c695   plexinc/pms-docker   "/init"   5 minutes ago   Up 5 minutes (healthy)   0.0.0.0:3005->3005/tcp, :::3005->3005/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8324->8324/tcp, :::8324->8324/tcp, 0.0.0.0:1900->1900/udp, :::1900->1900/udp, 0.0.0.0:32410->32410/udp, :::32410->32410/udp, 0.0.0.0:32400->32400/tcp, :::32400->32400/tcp, 0.0.0.0:32412-32414->32412-32414/udp, :::32412-32414->32412-32414/udp, 0.0.0.0:32469->32469/tcp, :::32469->32469/tcp   plex
david@nuctest:~$ sudo docker info
Client:
 Context:    default
 Debug Mode: false
 Plugins:
  buildx: Docker Buildx (Docker Inc., v0.10.4)
  compose: Docker Compose (Docker Inc., v2.17.2)

Server:
 Containers: 1
  Running: 1
  Paused: 0
  Stopped: 0
 Server Version: 20.10.24
 Storage Driver: overlay2
  Backing Filesystem: extfs
  Supports d_type: true
  Native Overlay Diff: true
  userxattr: false
 Logging Driver: json-file
 Cgroup Driver: systemd
 Cgroup Version: 2
 Plugins:
  Volume: local
  Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan null overlay
  Log: awslogs fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file local logentries splunk syslog
 Swarm: inactive
 Runtimes: io.containerd.runc.v2 io.containerd.runtime.v1.linux runc
 Default Runtime: runc
 Init Binary: docker-init
 containerd version: 2806fc1057397dbaeefbea0e4e17bddfbd388f38
 runc version: 
 init version: de40ad0
 Security Options:
  apparmor
  seccomp
   Profile: default
  cgroupns
 Kernel Version: 5.15.0-86-generic
 Operating System: Ubuntu Core 22
 OSType: linux
 Architecture: x86_64
 CPUs: 4
 Total Memory: 7.658GiB
 Name: nuctest
 ID: KR3L:ROC7:VPSF:H35Y:ZEX6:EM3J:F6DT:WE7C:5FVR:LHBO:V2FP:7UTO
 Docker Root Dir: /var/snap/docker/common/var-lib-docker
 Debug Mode: false
 Registry: https://index.docker.io/v1/
 Labels:
 Experimental: false
 Insecure Registries:
  127.0.0.0/8
 Live Restore Enabled: false

david@nuctest:~$

When you have time next, play LMS with Squeezelite with MP3, with PMS docker container stopped. 

Now run: sudo netstat -an

and see any of the ports you listed above is showing up as connected. LMS might be using some sort of network connections to get MP3 working, just need to find out what process that is ("sudo netstat -tulpn" to find the process opening the port).

If Snakeoil OS is complaining about missing netstat, run this to install: sudo apt install net-tools

I like puzzles like this. Easily get distracted trying to fix these puzzles.. Bad habit as that's taking away so much of my free time on the computer.