Noob question: How do I install SnakeoilOS on RPI?
(12-Dec-2022, 01:35 AM)uglymusic Wrote:
(11-Dec-2022, 02:08 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(10-Dec-2022, 11:23 PM)uglymusic Wrote: However, I had a few error messages along the way that appear to be caused by me missing that I should be using Ubuntu on the RPi, not Raspberry Pi OS. I thought I saw someone here recommending RPiOS rather than the RPi Ubuntu. Anyhow, it looks like my bad. 

Next step, read up about which version of Ubuntu I should be installing, and try again!

Thanks for your help, @Snoopy8 .
You should be using Raspbian for Pi... What error messages are you getting?

Thanks, @agent_kith. I didn't make a note of the error messages, unfortunately. They referred to Ubuntu (or some part of Ubuntu) not being present. Hence I went back to the installation instructions, which say I should be using Ubuntu Server LTS. 

I flashed Ubuntu Server LTS from the Raspberry Pi installer. The RPi booted successfully, and I upgraded and updated Ubuntu using SSH. I then verified and installed SnakeoilOS without receiving error messages. But the installation failed to reboot successfully. 

So should I go back to using Raspian? I was planning a second Ubuntu-based install as I didn't get the error messages. 

I'm happier with Raspian, in a way, because it's a simpler version of Linux. It's just those Ubuntu-related error messages.

Edit: You quite clearly say that I should be using Raspian (Raspberry Pi OS). It'll probably be next weekend before I have any time to do a new install. I'll report back as soon as I do have the time.

I've finally had a chance to work with SnakeoilOS again. Using Raspberry Pi OS, fully updated, on an RPi4, I got these errors:

[Image: Screenshot-2022-12-27-at-18-25-56.png]

The web interface works, and installing the Firmware updates does nothing to help LMS run.

(28-Dec-2022, 10:41 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I've finally had a chance to work with SnakeoilOS again. Using Raspberry Pi OS, fully updated, on an RPi4, I got these errors:

The web interface works, and installing the Firmware updates does nothing to help LMS run.
There's no ubuntu-restricted-extras in Raspian I believe, so you can ignore that error. The script is actually designed to terminate on that error but I think it didn't (which was a lucky break).

Try and install this manually first:
Code:
sudo apt install libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl

Then re-run the installer. Hopefully LMS will install fine from there.

Have already updated the installer script to install the above package.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(29-Dec-2022, 10:39 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(28-Dec-2022, 10:41 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I've finally had a chance to work with SnakeoilOS again. Using Raspberry Pi OS, fully updated, on an RPi4, I got these errors:

There's no ubuntu-restricted-extras in Raspian I believe, so you can ignore that error. The script is actually designed to terminate on that error but I think it didn't (which was a lucky break).

Try and install this manually first:

Code:
sudo apt install libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl

Then re-run the installer. Hopefully LMS will install fine from there.

Have already updated the installer script to install the above package.

Thank you @agent_kith.

After running the above, Raspberry Pi OS suggested I run:

Code:
sudo apt --fix-broken install

This seems to have done the job. LMS seems stable (it wasn't when I was trying with Ubuntu on the RPi (now abandoned, as per your advice)), so I'll configure SnakeoilOS and LMS on my music server RPi and see how that goes. I might be a day or two before I get that done, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes uglymusic's post:
  • agent_kith

(29-Dec-2022, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Thank you @agent_kith.

Code:

This seems to have done the job. LMS seems stable (it wasn't when I was trying with Ubuntu on the RPi (now abandoned, as per your advice)), so I'll configure SnakeoilOS and LMS on my music server RPi and see how that goes. I might be a day or two before I get that done, though.
That's great. Bear in mind Raspberry Pi is still considered experimental at this stage, as there are still some unresolved issues (some have already been fixed in code, but yet to be available for general or beta tester download).

Sometime next year I will focus more on Raspberry Pi, hopefully with compute module 4 (CM4) editions.

(29-Dec-2022, 06:49 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(29-Dec-2022, 06:44 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Thank you @agent_kith.

Code:

That's great. Bear in mind Raspberry Pi is still considered experimental at this stage, as there are still some unresolved issues (some have already been fixed in code, but yet to be available for general or beta tester download).

Sometime next year I will focus more on Raspberry Pi, hopefully with compute module 4 (CM4) editions.

Thanks @agent_kith. I read about the experimental status of the RPi. I'm heavily invested(!) in RPis for audio, and don't have a spare x86 machine around (unless you count a 20-year-old Dell gathering dust somewhere and an original MacBook Air with dead battery), so I'll be persevering with the Pis for now. If I like SnakeoilOS, I may consider building a custom x86-based machine, but that's not in the foreseeable future.

Just for clarification, is that CM4 edition going to be in addition to the RPi 3/4 edition you have at the moment?

(29-Dec-2022, 07:47 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Thanks @agent_kith. I read about the experimental status of the RPi. I'm heavily invested(!) in RPis for audio, and don't have a spare x86 machine around (unless you count a 20-year-old Dell gathering dust somewhere and an original MacBook Air with dead battery), so I'll be persevering with the Pis for now. If I like SnakeoilOS, I may consider building a custom x86-based machine, but that's not in the foreseeable future.
No problems. Note that because my primary rig is still a x86 machine for now, all my focus on optimizations/tweaks will still be focused on x86.

So in theory x86 will always sound better, until I can focus more on the Pi later next year that is.

(29-Dec-2022, 07:47 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Just for clarification, is that CM4 edition going to be in addition to the RPi 3/4 edition you have at the moment?
The software and underlying OS will all be the same. Mostly, as RPi 3 hardware is not ideal, my focus will be on RPi 4 and CM4.

(31-Dec-2022, 08:53 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(29-Dec-2022, 07:47 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Thanks @agent_kith. I read about the experimental status of the RPi. I'm heavily invested(!) in RPis for audio, and don't have a spare x86 machine around (unless you count a 20-year-old Dell gathering dust somewhere and an original MacBook Air with dead battery), so I'll be persevering with the Pis for now. If I like SnakeoilOS, I may consider building a custom x86-based machine, but that's not in the foreseeable future.
No problems. Note that because my primary rig is still a x86 machine for now, all my focus on optimizations/tweaks will still be focused on x86.

So in theory x86 will always sound better, until I can focus more on the Pi later next year that is.
(29-Dec-2022, 07:47 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Just for clarification, is that CM4 edition going to be in addition to the RPi 3/4 edition you have at the moment?
The software and underlying OS will all be the same. Mostly, as RPi 3 hardware is not ideal, my focus will be on RPi 4 and CM4.

Thanks for more clarification, @agent_kith. I'm looking forward to you finding some more time to focus on the RPi. Here in the UK - I don't know about Australia - having low-power RPis makes for a more manageable electricity bill! 

My investment in RPis for audio runs to a 4 running LMS as my server and four 3s (soon to be five), each with different HATs (I2S/SPDIF, DAC, DAC/Amp). I'm unlikely to change that lot!

EDIT: Oh, and a spare 4 that I'm using to experiment with SnakeoilOS before it goes into production here.

Is the RPi 3 not ideal in your eyes because the USB port is noisy or because it doesn't have the required grunt, in some way?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, BTW.

(31-Dec-2022, 08:25 PM)uglymusic Wrote: My investment in RPis for audio runs to a 4 running LMS as my server and four 3s (soon to be five), each with different HATs (I2S/SPDIF, DAC, DAC/Amp). I'm unlikely to change that lot!

EDIT: Oh, and a spare 4 that I'm using to experiment with SnakeoilOS before it goes into production here.
So, can you be convinced to switch to an Intel NUC if it sounds better than a Pi? 😛 😀

I assume you are using good linear power supplies?

(31-Dec-2022, 08:25 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Is the RPi 3 not ideal in your eyes because the USB port is noisy or because it doesn't have the required grunt, in some way?
I am using an Accuphase DC-37 DAC, connection via USB.

RPi3 is sharing the network with the USB port. Not only is the network slow (Not full 1Gbps), the fact it's sharing everything makes it less ideal.

As snoopy said though, you'll need a good LPS to power your Pi.

In general the reason why I havn't really focus on the RPi side of things much is because Intel based computer still sound better to me so far.. But that could be because I don't have those audiophile grade RPi setups... Hey if any companies want to sponsor me, feel free to drop me a DM! Big Grin Big Grin

(01-Jan-2023, 07:52 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(31-Dec-2022, 08:25 PM)uglymusic Wrote: My investment in RPis for audio runs to a 4 running LMS as my server and four 3s (soon to be five), each with different HATs (I2S/SPDIF, DAC, DAC/Amp). I'm unlikely to change that lot!

So, can you be convinced to switch to an Intel NUC if it sounds better than a Pi? 😛 😀

I assume you are using good linear power supplies?

I'd rather not if I can help it, but I never say never!

In fact, I'm having a custom linear PSU built at the moment to power both sides of my RPi/Allo Digione Signature and my DAC. The LPSU that's currently powering the clean side of the Digione Sig is destined for the server. So, yes!  Angel

I'll post about my systems once I get SnakeoilOS running and stable enough to replace piCorePlayer and Max2Play.

(01-Jan-2023, 10:33 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(31-Dec-2022, 08:25 PM)uglymusic Wrote: Is the RPi 3 not ideal in your eyes because the USB port is noisy or because it doesn't have the required grunt, in some way?
I am using an Accuphase DC-37 DAC, connection via USB.

RPi3 is sharing the network with the USB port. Not only is the network slow (Not full 1Gbps), the fact it's sharing everything makes it less ideal.

As snoopy said though, you'll need a good LPS to power your Pi.

In general the reason why I havn't really focus on the RPi side of things much is because Intel based computer still sound better to me so far.. But that could be because I don't have those audiophile grade RPi setups... Hey if any companies want to sponsor me, feel free to drop me a DM! Big Grin Big Grin

Once I dropped my Mac mini, I moved from USB to SPDIF. SPDIF is the easiest way to get a good-sounding signal out of an RPi, and for some DACs, SPDIF is the better-sounding input. I have no idea which input sounds better on my SMSL or M2Tech DACs. 

The Allo Digione Signature is quite special, so I guess I'd probably be looking to build a custom x86 rig along the lines of yours (but with newer HW) to stand a chance of properly bettering it. And that will be a fair chunk of cash, I imagine.

I think you should be saying 'allo to Allo (sorry!  Smile ).
[-] The following 1 user Likes uglymusic's post:
  • Snoopy8