- Different Machines For LMS and Squeezelite
- Quick Start Guide
Custom Kernel To Install Snakeoil OS
The stock kernel included in every ISO only supports a limited range of computer hardware. This is a deliberate choice because the stock kernel will support > 80% of all computers. Supporting everything risk degrading sound quality. All is not lost if the stock ISO image don't work for your computer hardware. You can re-author (modify) the ISO with a kernel tailored to your machine. This chapter describes the process.
How To Modify USB
- Download the ISO, and build it to a USB stick. Follow these instructions.
Go to the forums and download your required custom install kernel. These files have the following naming convention:
install-__.zip (where on the build)
- Extract the downloaded file to get vmlinuz, like so:
- Your USB stick should have the following file structure (note this is for version 1.0.0 and future versions may look slightly different):
- Go into the folder casper (again this is for version 1.0.0 and future versions may look different):
- Rename the file vmlinuz to vmlinuz.backup:
- Copy the file from step 3 into here, like so:
- Safely eject the USB. And you're done.
- Now reboot the computer with this USB stick and you're now using a custom kernel specially tailored to your computer
How To Modify ISO
If you are installing Snakeoil OS using CD/DVD, you need to re-author the ISO and then write the modified ISO image to CD/DVD. You'd need a ISO re-authoring tool for this. You can follow this tutorial.