Announcing Snakeoil Measurements 1.3.0
(26-Dec-2023, 09:21 PM)wxrbbs Wrote: Can you tell me how to set up BIOS
Optimize sound quality
Your BIOS may be different. Switch off all unused ports and functions e.g. wireless, Bluetooth, HDMI CEC, Hyperthreading, Turbo Boost, SpeedStep. Speed Shift, even unused USB ports.

Also disabled Power options: Deep S4/S5, Wake System from S5, USB s4/S5, Native ACPI OS PCIe Support

(26-Dec-2023, 04:07 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Let me add my results running SnakeOil 1.3.0 (measurements 0). Using an Intel NUC Elements (11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz) running Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS and standard Ubuntu 5.15.0-1052-realtime kernel. Have CPUset enabled with 2 cores for User and 2 for System.  Last but not least, have CamillaDSP installed and running convolution room correction.  CamillaDSP will be coming in 1.3.1.

The mpd sound quality is excellent.  Undoubtedly, it is helped by the low latency.

[Image: Cyclictest-Ubuntu-2023-12-26-185824.jpg]

If you are prepared to build your own RT kernel to remove unnecessary hardware, the sound quality can go up a notch. 

Well done AK for an excellent release.

Is your NUC using TSC clocksource, or hpet clocksource?

(27-Dec-2023, 08:27 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Is your NUC using TSC clocksource, or hpet clocksource?
TSC. No option of HPET, which I know you prefer.

(27-Dec-2023, 10:37 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(27-Dec-2023, 08:27 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Is your NUC using TSC clocksource, or hpet clocksource?
TSC. No option of HPET, which I know you prefer.

It's alright.  Just wonder how to achieve such nice latency.

And, did you disabled all the related power management setting in BIOS menu?

(27-Dec-2023, 12:24 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: It's alright.  Just wonder how to achieve such nice latency.

This is my 3rd NUC (all dedicated to SO) and I have had the max latency around 10 to 15 ms using RT kernels. While I am using NVME SSD drive in latest box, I had SATA drives previously. And using standard memory chips. Have also enable CPUsets which help reduce the latency.

Not sure why your latency is so high. Are you running other programs besides Roon end point? I assumed you have looked at Top in terminal to see what processes are running in which CPU (In Top, f, scroll down and select p, shift W (capital w) to save setting).

And thank you for reminding me about power management; I have disabled some, please see previous post that I have edited.

(27-Dec-2023, 01:21 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(27-Dec-2023, 12:24 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: It's alright.  Just wonder how to achieve such nice latency.

This is my 3rd NUC (all dedicated to SO) and I have had the max latency around 10 to 15 ms using RT kernels. While I am using NVME SSD drive in latest box, I had SATA drives previously. And using standard memory chips. Have also enable CPUsets which help reduce the latency.

Not sure why your latency is so high. Are you running other programs besides Roon end point? I assumed you have looked at Top in terminal to see what processes are running in which CPU (In Top, f, scroll down and select p, shift W (capital w) to save setting).

And thank you for reminding me about power management; I have disabled some, please see previous post that I have edited.

In my experience, using hpet clocksource the latency already increases many folds of tsc clocksource's.  And for the Roon server, without roon server (not endpoint) the latency of my NUC  scores 5 digits, unless I choose TSC then the latency down to 4 digits.  Once the Roon server is running, the latency becomes very very ugly.  If it's playing files, then the latency becomes terribly ugly. 

The function of an endpoint is receiving "musically processed" network data and storing certain amount of them in memory as buffer, before sending them to usb or other digital audio output.  That simple system can greatly reduce the jitter in data transfer and latency of the system, in comparing with the music playback server.   Well, I think that's why Roon officially suggesting their users adding an endpoint.  

In fact, after I've used Roon for some months, I found endpoint is a good idea to implement CAS, apart from solving location and space problem.  Because, as I've got Pi as Roon endpoint, I've installed Roon server on different machines in my home network to see if there is obvious difference in sound from different machines/OS across my home network.   I got several findings but I'd rather not to distract this topic at this moment.  Yet I just would like to say is, we can save a lot on investing/modifying the roon server/SO/Music server machine, instead, investing a "descent" endpoint machine is relatively a lot cheaper, e.g. Raspberry Pi.  I got an Oppo 4k bluray player, it offers roon endpoint, too.  But the sound effect can't be compared with Raspberry Pi.

That's why I've suggested AK to make endpoint possible to SO, esp while using MPD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • Snoopy8

(27-Dec-2023, 02:03 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: That's why I've suggested AK to make endpoint possible to SO, esp while using MPD.
It makes sense to split the Roon server and Roon end point. Also LMS and Squeezelite. But mpd??? There is no separate player in mpd. Why break mpd when it is working well and SQ is excellent?

(28-Dec-2023, 07:35 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(27-Dec-2023, 02:03 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: That's why I've suggested AK to make endpoint possible to SO, esp while using MPD.
It makes sense to split the Roon server and Roon end point. Also LMS and Squeezelite. But mpd??? There is no separate player in mpd. Why break mpd when it is working well and SQ is excellent?

Maybe I didn't express my idea clear enough. 

Just like requesting to add the convolution filter, everyone here is looking for better sound from our systems , yet mpd is already working very well and SQ is excellent.

Hmmm... frustrating day here.
New install of Ubuntu server 22.04 on HP AMD thinclient (Previously worked with SO) updated and then ran the Snakeoil install and all seemed to complete fine.
Activated and configured library successfully. Set player and had the confirmation.
However, No players work. Tried all MPD and LMS options and 5 output options (USB/Onboard/HDMI)
The "remote' for mpd is not available and the 'remote' for any LMS simply throws me back to the Dashboard.

Cannot start any player.
Logs appear clean.
Advice appreciated :-)

(29-Dec-2023, 11:02 AM)Bromf Wrote: Hmmm... frustrating day here.
New install of Ubuntu server 22.04 on HP AMD thinclient (Previously worked with SO) updated and then ran the Snakeoil install and all seemed to complete fine.
Activated and configured library successfully. Set player and had the confirmation.
However, No players work. Tried all MPD and LMS options and 5 output options (USB/Onboard/HDMI)
The "remote' for mpd is not available and the 'remote' for any LMS simply throws me back to the Dashboard.

Cannot start any player.
Logs appear clean.
Advice appreciated :-)
I had a similar problem with the Pi but it was caused by my own kernel. Suggest sending AK a diagnostic file to speed things up. And maybe AK needs to reinstate 1.2 installer and firmware for the time being?