Announcing Snakeoil Measurements 1.3.0
(31-Dec-2023, 08:02 AM)agent_kith Wrote: It's possible to use MPD as an endpoint, via upmpdcli.
Yes, I have used Upmpdcli as an endpoint but have stopped using it based on your suggestion to disable UPnP on the network.
(31-Dec-2023, 11:08 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Thanks, AK.  I'm afraid to say that, i mean, using mpd or SO as server to process data (esp after adding convolution filter), and then get an endpoint for that mpd server.  Together with the data buffer inside endpoint, theoretically there is a lot of advantage for CAS quality and c/p radio.

Well, just a hypothesis, a non evidence based wild guess only.  Please take your time.
I just tried running LMS on my Pi (thanks to AK quick fix!) and Squeezelite on my NUC (which has a much better external USB card).  I was very surprised that it was worse than running everything on the NUC. I suspect the much higher latency on the Pi and the additional Ethernet traffic caused SQ to drop ?
​​​
Maybe I would have got a different result if the NUC was not so well sorted in the first place?

** I suspect there is a big problem with LMS version on Bookworm which contributed to this incorrect finding....

OK. Starting to get back on the case. (Happy New Year, BTW).

Started by installing Raspberry Pi OS on my RPI 4 server. LMS didn't work, so have upgraded to LMS 8.4 beta, and all seems well.

Edit: Should have read down as far as known issues, sorry AK!

And that's as far as I've got.

A little later: Fresh install of Bookworm Lite 64-bit on 2GB RPi 4 with Allo Boss HAT.

I've edited config.txt, adding dtoverlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio, and SO isn't seeing it  Sad

I've rebooted SO and the RPi several times, but it's not seeing it. So I'm going back to Ubuntu LTS and Beta 1, which has been working fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting 1.3.0 on Bookworm to see the HAT? Maybe I should try Ubuntu LTS?

(01-Jan-2024, 10:03 PM)uglymusic Wrote: OK. Starting to get back on the case. (Happy New Year, BTW).

Started by installing Raspberry Pi OS on my RPI 4 server. LMS didn't work, so have upgraded to LMS 8.4 beta, and all seems well.

A little later: Fresh install of Bookworm Lite 64-bit on 2GB RPi 4 with Allo Boss HAT.

I've edited config.txt, adding dtoverlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio, and SO isn't seeing it  Sad

I've rebooted SO and the RPi several times, but it's not seeing it. So I'm going back to Ubuntu LTS and Beta 1, which has been working fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting 1.3.0 on Bookworm to see the HAT? Maybe I should try Ubuntu LTS?
I had problems with bookworm and allo dacs getting dtbo loaded-hit or miss. Ubuntu 22 lts worked well for me on my pi 4 with an allo digione. On my pi 5 with bookworm I had to switch to an  usb dac instead of an allo dac. Usb worked fine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes criminalzen's post:
  • uglymusic

(02-Jan-2024, 04:01 AM)criminalzen Wrote:
(01-Jan-2024, 10:03 PM)uglymusic Wrote: OK. Starting to get back on the case. (Happy New Year, BTW).

I had problems with bookworm and allo dacs getting dtbo loaded-hit or miss. Ubuntu 22 lts worked well for me on my pi 4 with an allo digione. On my pi 5 with bookworm I had to switch to an  usb dac instead of an allo dac. Usb worked fine.

Thanks for that. It's what I needed to know.

I've been leaning towards Ubuntu LTS, so that's the way I'm going to go, especially for my RPi 3/Allo Digione Signature in my main rig.

I've just set up Bookworm on my RPi 5; I'll see if it's stable enough to consider for my server.

@uglymusic @criminalzen 
Am a beginner with the Pi, but solved my hat problem by looking at the config.txt of a working OS (in my case supplied by vendor).  There may be more than 1 parameter to change.

This may help but way beyond my beginner level.  
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...ml#part3.1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • uglymusic

(31-Dec-2023, 09:24 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(30-Dec-2023, 02:09 PM)Bromf Wrote: Hmm so no mympd and no mpd and no LMS and no squeezlite... not much of a cheese shop lol :-)

This is a new install no backup needed. I thought to try with Ubuntu server 23.10 but see that the latest SO firmware is for Jammy .
Firefox??  at a complete loss for other things to try...and maybe this reflects other 'new user' experiences so this is why I am reporting.
Just had a check at your diagnostic file. Everything looks good, no pulse audio is installed so everything should be working native.

Configuration also looks good. Can you SSH to your computer, and run "sudo alsactl", pick your p80i output and ensure the volumes are all maxed out?

Also, what do you mean no MPD, no LMS and no squeezelite. As in the players are not there, or you're not getting sound out of them?

Assume you meant "sudo alsamixer" and have tried that already for several different output devices and all seem ok.
The problem is that whilst all configurations appear correct and reported so by SO it is not possible to start any players.
MPD has no remote available (screenshot attached) and LMS has remote but when clicked it simply opens a new browser tab and shows the SO dashboard.
Therefore there are no players and so no sound. Tried all variants and several devices.
Tried with Firefox in normal and /safe/troubleshooting mode.
Base install before running the SO install was Ubuntu server 22.04.
[Image: Screenshot-2024-01-02-13-07-28.png]

Code:
Get:1 file:/cdrom jammy InRelease
Ign:1 file:/cdrom jammy InRelease
Get:2 file:/cdrom jammy Release
Err:2 file:/cdrom jammy Release
  File not found - /cdrom/dists/jammy/Release (2: No such file or directory)
Hit:3 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit:4 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Hit:5 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Hit:6 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease
Reading package lists...
E: The repository 'file:/cdrom jammy Release' no longer has a Release file.
Changing software configuration...
*** Name: ntnod Mode: Installing ***
bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
adduser: The user `mympd' already exists.
/usr/local/bin/mpd_remote.sh: line 47: mympd: command not found
tee: /var/lib/mympd/config/http_port: No such file or directory
tee: /var/lib/mympd/config/ssl_port: No such file or directory

Install has finished, please click the close button below to exit.
EDIT

Ah...I recall now that for some time the Ubuntu 'live server' image does NOT work on this hardware and I have had to install the 20.04 'Legacy server' image and upgrade to 22.04 befor installing SO.
Some packages/drivers missing from the later Ubuntu installer.

Downloading the 20.04 server and will install etc etc and report.

EDIT2
Nope...
Guess SO has changed under the hood and no longer works with this hardware :-(   After some considerable time installing Ubuntu Server 20.04 legacy, upgrading to 22.04, adding SO, and getting the same problem...no players starting and unable to install myMPD because it is 'already installed' but won't start.
LMS just throws to another tab and Dashboard.

Was a good run AK.  I will try some other hardware but not hopeful..

(02-Jan-2024, 05:24 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: @uglymusic @criminalzen 
Am a beginner with the Pi, but solved my hat problem by looking at the config.txt of a working OS (in my case supplied by vendor).  There may be more than 1 parameter to change.

This may help but way beyond my beginner level.  
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...ml#part3.1

Possibly, but I've never had to change more than that one parameter (dtoverlay), but I will see if Allo has published anything. 

But with Ubuntu LTS running well on everything but the RPi 5, I'm not sure that trying to solve the new Raspberry Pi OS problem is my highest priority - getting all my RPis up to date and running on 1.3.0 is where I'm going (but it changes from day to day Smile ).

Although, it's just struck me that the kernel stuff you published for me before Christmas is for Raspberry Pi OS. SO is a bit of a maze at the moment, but I'm sure we'll get there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes uglymusic's post:
  • Snoopy8

Dear AK, first of all thanks for your efforts to bring music to our homes (and happy New year). Unfortunately, after reinstalling Ubuntu 22.04 and SO 1.3.0, it seems that I have the same problems as @Bromf. I can not access to LMS remote controls. When I hover over the icon, an tip with error message appears, and after clicking on it, the DASHBOARD page opens (instead of the LMS server page) so the player can not be set. With MPD player I do not have access to remote control at all. With version 1.2.6, everything was working correctly. Diagnostic file sent by email.

Thanks in advance

PS I am not in Linux (I only learned as much as I had to because of the Snakeoil OS).

[Image: Capture-02.jpg]

[Image: Capture-01.jpg]

It me again. I managed to play music through the M.A.L.P. I don't know how, but it's working for now. MPD still do not have remote. 

My luck lasted only a few songs. Music playback stopped with the message 'Failed to connect to MPD Server'.

However, after some time, the connection restored itself on its own and is working again, without any intervention on my part (I don't have any interruptions in the local network). What's happening?

LMS does not work at all.

[Image: Capture-03.jpg]

@TripleX, welcome to the forum.  For both yourself and @Bromf, can you please try this using either SSH or on your terminal both commands
Code:
aplay -l
sudo aplay -l
For the first command, you could be getting "no soundcards found..." and have a list of devices for the 2nd command.

I am guessing here but maybe SO is using a non privileged user command ???

Yes it is a privileged command so sudo needed.
I ran aplay -l way back whilst troubleshooting but here it is for reference...

Code:
bob@mamba:~$ sudo aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC221 Analog [ALC221 Analog]
card 2: MicroII [Audio Advantage MicroII], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
All cards/devices reported fine and can be configured.
The problem is that SO does not start any players so no library/nas  update and no audio output to any player.

As you and others report latest SO running on Intel NUC I will make a guess here that [b]TripleX[/b]  is running AMD based hardware as am I and that whilst SO is working for Intel based it has some odd problem with AMD CPUs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • Snoopy8