Snakeoil Installer - 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
I've been meaning to look into the new LTS, havn't had the time to do much snakeoil work these past weeks. Will update on my life in the progress thread.

As for HPET, can you go into the BIOS and double check if there's an option to turn this on/off?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(04-May-2022, 08:29 PM)agent_kith Wrote: I've been meaning to look into the new LTS, havn't had the time to do much snakeoil work these past weeks. Will update on my life in the progress thread.

As for HPET, can you go into the BIOS and double check if there's an option to turn this on/off?

For the HPET issue, it's pity that I've returned that fanless PC to my fd, I can't check but have asked him to look for it in CMOS.  In my current fanless PC, I've installed Snakeoil with exactly same way (i.e. ubuntu 20.04 LTS and 1.2.0 installer), there is still "HPET" option as usual.  So I believe the missed "HPET" in clocksource is related to hardware, rather than 1.2.0 installer.

And for the OS rolling, I don't mean to leave Snakeoil.  Just because currently inside my SnakeOil fanless PC got only ONE 2G NVMe SSD for both OS and music file storage.  I even disabled SATA in CMOS to save power and lower the latency, hopefully.  So, I was afraid that any problem with the OS may erase the ssd, including all my music files, during re-installation.  Then, it takes 10+ hrs to transfer music library from NAS.  

Besides, FYI, I found that on my current fanless PC, the latency of Snakeoil OS, which is from 1.2.0 installer, is a bit lower, esp. MAX value, in comparing with the one installed from previous 1.1.x.iso.   Here is the screen cap.
[Image: signal-2022-05-05-114444.png]  [Image: mine.png]

Look, as I'll receive my new NUC for SnakeOil very soon, and with these previous findings, I'll invest one new SATA SSD solely for SnakeOil OS installation.  So that I don't need to worry about erasing the local music files when trying your new SnakeOil OS, such as the new installer that works with Ubuntu 22.04 RT kernel, or the SnakeOil custom built kernel, and beyond.  I'm really excited and looking forward to them.  Just because I don't want to miss any advantage and your effort in SnakeOil OS.

BTW, a bit side track here, in my home LAN network, it's a 1G LAN network, internet speed test can reach ~9xxM/s.  And my PC can send and receive files between Synology NAS (ordinary HHD inside) at ~100M/s, also the same speed between PC and SnakeOil OS NAS.  When I use a backup software on my PC to sync the files between Synology NAS and SnakeOil NAS, then it drops to ~50M/s.  Even it's a bit disappointing, I guess it's because it's bottlenecked by receiving and sending at the same time to the PC.  Yet it's even more disappointing that, it's also only ~50M/s when it's copying files directly between Synology NAS and SnakeOil NAS.  I've mounted each others with NFS.  No matter I use the "cp" command, or "rsync" command, the speed is still ~50M/s, rather than ~100M/s.   So you guys can see, it really takes a long time to transfer 1.xG music library between 2 NAS.

(05-May-2022, 12:22 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: BTW, a bit side track here, in my home LAN network, it's a 1G LAN network, internet speed test can reach ~9xxM/s.  And my PC can send and receive files between Synology NAS (ordinary HHD inside) at ~100M/s, also the same speed between PC and SnakeOil OS NAS.  When I use a backup software on my PC to sync the files between Synology NAS and SnakeOil NAS, then it drops to ~50M/s.  Even it's a bit disappointing, I guess it's because it's bottlenecked by receiving and sending at the same time to the PC.  Yet it's even more disappointing that, it's also only ~50M/s when it's copying files directly between Synology NAS and SnakeOil NAS.  I've mounted each others with NFS.  No matter I use the "cp" command, or "rsync" command, the speed is still ~50M/s, rather than ~100M/s.   So you guys can see, it really takes a long time to transfer 1.xG music library between 2 NAS.
Do you have another computer? Can you try and copy file to the Synology, and then to the NAS and compare speeds? That way you should be able to identify where the bottleneck is.

50MB/s is pretty bad. I'm on RAID5 which is not known for good I/O and can get > 80 MB/s at least, most time over 100 MB/s.. When I copied the new Ubuntu ISOs to the NAS earlier, Windows 11 is telling me it's over 300MB/s. Which can't be correct because the peak of gigabit maxes out at about 125 MB/s.

(05-May-2022, 05:45 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(05-May-2022, 12:22 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: BTW, a bit side track here, in my home LAN network, it's a 1G LAN network, internet speed test can reach ~9xxM/s.  And my PC can send and receive files between Synology NAS (ordinary HHD inside) at ~100M/s, also the same speed between PC and SnakeOil OS NAS.  When I use a backup software on my PC to sync the files between Synology NAS and SnakeOil NAS, then it drops to ~50M/s.  Even it's a bit disappointing, I guess it's because it's bottlenecked by receiving and sending at the same time to the PC.  Yet it's even more disappointing that, it's also only ~50M/s when it's copying files directly between Synology NAS and SnakeOil NAS.  I've mounted each others with NFS.  No matter I use the "cp" command, or "rsync" command, the speed is still ~50M/s, rather than ~100M/s.   So you guys can see, it really takes a long time to transfer 1.xG music library between 2 NAS.
Do you have another computer? Can you try and copy file to the Synology, and then to the NAS and compare speeds? That way you should be able to identify where the bottleneck is.

50MB/s is pretty bad. I'm on RAID5 which is not known for good I/O and can get > 80 MB/s at least, most time over 100 MB/s.. When I copied the new Ubuntu ISOs to the NAS earlier, Windows 11 is telling me it's over 300MB/s. Which can't be correct because the peak of gigabit maxes out at about 125 MB/s.

Interestingly, I just found this problem solved itself in 1.2.0 installer.   Now back to 100M/s both in syncing, and file transferring between 2 NAS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith

One more weird thing I just discovered about latency.  From the same machcine with tweaked CMOS setting (e.g. turned off hyperthreading, virtualization, shiftstep and etc), and default bios setting.  Guess which one returns lower latency in cyclictest?  That broke my glasses and violating my experience.  Did I do something wrong?  Big Grin
[Image: 20-04-ubuntu-about-CMOS.png]

FYI, finally I can install UbuntuStudio 22.04 successfully with a new USB drive.  It's easy to tell the the sound and the video output is better than the original stock Ubuntu.  Yet it's not working with installer 1.2.0.

(19-May-2022, 12:53 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: FYI, finally I can install UbuntuStudio 22.04 successfully with a new USB drive.  It's easy to tell the the sound and the video output is better than the original stock Ubuntu.  Yet it's not working with installer 1.2.0.
I'll find some time to get this working with a new installer...
Tonight is probably out as I have a 8pm (Perth time) meeting. Tomorrow I should be able to squeeze in some time after work, but then this this weekend I'm gonna be quite busy with stuffs.. So hopefully it's something I can fix/address in 1 day, otherwise may have to wait till some time next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

(19-May-2022, 01:30 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(19-May-2022, 12:53 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: FYI, finally I can install UbuntuStudio 22.04 successfully with a new USB drive.  It's easy to tell the the sound and the video output is better than the original stock Ubuntu.  Yet it's not working with installer 1.2.0.
I'll find some time to get this working with a new installer...
Tonight is probably out as I have a 8pm (Perth time) meeting. Tomorrow I should be able to squeeze in some time after work, but then this this weekend I'm gonna be quite busy with stuffs.. So hopefully it's something I can fix/address in 1 day, otherwise may have to wait till some time next week.

No worry, sir, please take your time.  My new NUC still needs few more day to arrive.  I'll use UbuntuStudio 20.04 with installer 1.2.0 at the moment before the installer works with 22.04 LTS.

Morning everyone, I absolutely love Snakeoil, been using it for the past 2 years in my 10th gen NUC, thanks to @Snoopy8 help back in 2020. Smile

I'm still on 1.1.11 (Blind Testing U11), it took a bit to work with Agent Kith to get it working as I'm using M.2 SSD so in the end had to use a specific kernel during install. Has been working beautifully since. I use the highest MPD version for 1.1.11 which is 0.21.25

I know there is 1.2.5. Would you all recommend I upgrade from a sound quality point of view?

I've been holding off as I'm looking forward to results of the great work that @agent_kith is doing with the kernel builder.

(10-Jun-2022, 10:11 AM)emptor Wrote: Morning everyone, I absolutely love Snakeoil, been using it for the past 2 years in my 10th gen NUC, thanks to @Snoopy8 help back in 2020. Smile

I'm still on 1.1.11 (Blind Testing U11), it took a bit to work with Agent Kith to get it working as I'm using M.2 SSD so in the end had to use a specific kernel during install. Has been working beautifully since. I use the highest MPD version for 1.1.11 which is 0.21.25

I know there is 1.2.5. Would you all recommend I upgrade from a sound quality point of view?

I've been holding off as I'm looking forward to results of the great work that @agent_kith is doing with the kernel builder.

Please don't worry about the FW upgrade, you can downgrade it with the same way.  Enjoy.