Snakeoil Installer- 1.2.6 (Gear Isolation U6)
(24-Dec-2022, 12:12 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Maybe installing the ordinary Ubuntu with minimal installation 1st and and then replace with Studio's LowLatency kernel.  
You may check from #39 of this thread.
Yeah. Would do that next time. I like how "zippy" the Studio desktop really is. mouse/keyboard feels very low lag. This might be my go to desktop in the future. Using something called KDE instead of Gnome.

BTW, KDE is based on something called QT. And that's my day job these days. Kind of the reason when I spent days/weeks away from Snakeoil project.. Except for last week when I was sick...
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • labo, hkphantomgtr

(24-Dec-2022, 11:57 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(22-Dec-2022, 08:53 PM)labo Wrote: Hi
Will snakeoil OS be installable over debian ?
I find ubuntu server especially recent one bloated with their call to home and snap staff, besides I have an underpowered intel nuc atom, so even without a desktop enviroment it takes a lots of seconds to totally startup.
Thank you
Yet to try it. Have only test run this on Ubuntu systems, but really any debian based system should work in theory. 

Just installed Ubuntu Studio 24.04 on a N3700 and it works well. You might well want to give that a go. Yes, it's also bloated (I uninstalled libreoffice and puseaudio immediately), hopefully will add something in the future to remove some glut.

The slow boot up is normal. Typical distro given kernels have some bloat that will slow down boot up time. The use of a dynamic IP will slow down boot up. Custom kernel and static IP can cut boot up times down to seconds (Provided you're using a SSD obviously).

didn't work with debian : since the begining of the install process : Debian not supported

(25-Dec-2022, 11:02 PM)labo Wrote: didn't work with debian : since the begining of the install process : Debian not supported
My bad. Do a minimal server install, switch to the lowlatency kernel. Install ubuntu-restricted-extras package manually as that will prompt you to accept EULA (this can't be done automatically in the Snakeoil installer script)

Once done, run this Snakeoil installer and it will be good to go.

Note due to the minimal install nature you may need to install some additional tools now and then. But in general most parts of Snakeoil will work fine just as.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • labo

Hi, how to install low latency kernel from Ubuntu Studio without GUI (studio installer) to my actual Ubuntu Server 22.01 ?, im guessing adding studio repos and install only kernel from them, right?

(29-Dec-2022, 06:06 PM)ravenman Wrote: Hi, how to install low latency kernel from Ubuntu Studio without GUI (studio installer) to my actual Ubuntu Server 22.01 ?, im guessing adding studio repos and install only kernel from them, right?

Hoping this will help.
https://installati.one/ubuntu/20.04/linux-lowlatency/

(26-Dec-2022, 08:08 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(25-Dec-2022, 11:02 PM)labo Wrote: didn't work with debian : since the begining of the install process : Debian not supported
My bad. Do a minimal server install, switch to the lowlatency kernel. Install ubuntu-restricted-extras package manually as that will prompt you to accept EULA (this can't be done automatically in the Snakeoil installer script)

Once done, run this Snakeoil installer and it will be good to go.

Note due to the minimal install nature you may need to install some additional tools now and then. But in general most parts of Snakeoil will work fine just as.

Hi
didnt' succeed to make it work

[Image: snake.png]

(01-Jan-2023, 02:10 AM)labo Wrote: Hi
didnt' succeed to make it work

[Image: snake.png]
Hi. Please try again with Ubuntu Server.. Looks like I havn't enable full debian support yet (Probably will only add support from 1.3.1 if not later).
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • labo

Just came across snakeoil os. Looks interesting, currently using dietpi with HQPlayer NAA on a Pi 2B+. Any plans to make an ARMV8 version?

(28-Jan-2023, 01:56 PM)Barnabaspotts Wrote: Just came across snakeoil os. Looks interesting, currently using dietpi with HQPlayer NAA on a Pi 2B+. Any plans to make an ARMV8 version?
Lots of plans, just no time to execute it. Tongue

And yeah am thinking of ARMv8. However, if I do that I will have to drop ARMv7 as just don't have the resources to support too many variations. And that means existing users will have to do a re-install.

So going to leave that for now, at least in the short term.

(29-Jan-2023, 08:21 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(28-Jan-2023, 01:56 PM)Barnabaspotts Wrote: Just came across snakeoil os. Looks interesting, currently using dietpi with HQPlayer NAA on a Pi 2B+. Any plans to make an ARMV8 version?
Lots of plans, just no time to execute it. Tongue

And yeah am thinking of ARMv8. However, if I do that I will have to drop ARMv7 as just don't have the resources to support too many variations. And that means existing users will have to do a re-install.

Thanks for the reply. Totally understand the time needed to support different versions. I could always swap out the 2B+ for an earlier version and try it Smile 

So going to leave that for now, at least in the short term.