Request For Comments: Snakeoil OS 1.1.0 (Blind Testing)
(21-Sep-2017, 04:41 PM)Aleh Wrote: Is it possible to support exfat file system for mounting external usb ssd disk drives
That can be done before this release. I'd build a new kernel later this weekend.. Will let you know. Thumbs Up
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Turns out exFat is user space file system (FUSE) so there is no new kernel to build. To get this working in the WebApp is better done in BlindTesting. Added this as a new feature for 1.1.0 instead.

Until then, you can install the exFAT userspace tools, and then modify /etc/fstab to have it mount automatically, or via commandline for manual mount. BlindTesting will handle this a lot better when it's released (e.g. in theory you may be able to swap HDDs and Snakeoil will detect it automatically).

It's been a while, and I have.... nothing to report.
[Image: cruch.gif]

Been very busy in the past few weeks at work, and unfortunately no time to look into Snakeoil. Hopefully things will look better later in the year. In the meantime, if I have forgotten to respond to anybody within 24 hours, my apologies. I'd respond when I can.
[Image: stress.gif] [Image: stress.gif][Image: stress.gif][Image: stress.gif]

(13-Oct-2017, 08:12 PM)agent_kith Wrote: It's been a while, and I have.... nothing to report.
[Image: cruch.gif]

Been very busy in the past few weeks at work, and unfortunately no time to look into Snakeoil. Hopefully things will look better later in the year. In the meantime, if I have forgotten to respond to anybody within 24 hours, my apologies. I'd respond when I can.
[Image: stress.gif][Image: stress.gif][Image: stress.gif][Image: stress.gif]
I am sure we all appreciate your efforts and are giving you the space you need to attend to the tasks that facilitate your continued existence and thus, eventually, further progress on your most wondrous Snakeoil project....:-)

Any lack of contact on our part is out of respect and not disinterest..... I certainly check the Snakeoil forums daily for any new postings and ,hey!, it works already !! anything more is icing on our audio cake...;-)

Please take time to recharge, relax, and enjoy life.

Best regards,
Bob.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

Just a quick report - two weeks on and still havn't done much on 1.1.0. My day time job is really busy right now, and that's tiring me out more than usual, leaving me exhausted at the end of the day.
[Image: bird.gif]

Not complaining really, it is what it is. Right now I'm busy working with two hospitals and getting their entertainment system online. These are interesting projects and frankly I'm having the best time of my life problem solving two extremely complicated setups. 

Funnily enough, while I havn't been releasing new updates, or new articles - activity to the Website has increased. While the numbers are still modest, it's a good growth. People have randomly googled and found Snakeoil OS, and have the curiosity to try it out. So the efforts of SEO, understanding the analytics from visitors and revamping the website accordingly to better target the audience works. There's still a lot to be done, e.g. need to improve the manual (Thanks Martin!). While I'm doing what I can, still need you guys to spread the word on Snakeoil OS.

Allow me to blow my own trumpet, IMHO - Snakeoil OS is the best option for sound quality right now if you want to play music from a computer! [Image: lie.gif] If you agree, please make a short comment in the feedbacks section, or write a testimonial (if you have a forum account). If you are on Facebook, follow the SnakeoilOS page and write a review.

The idea is to spread Snakeoil OS everywhere.

While Google is bringing in dedicated audiophiles who are actively looking for the best audiophile software, your comments/reviews/exposure will bring in the people who are on the fence. Make people understand they don't have to pay good money to get the best. Yes there is a donation option, but this is not paid software.

Snakeoil OS is the best - and it is free. Want to know the extent of this freedom? Anybody can copy Snakeoil OS, call it their own idea and make money off it. There are absolutely no strings attached. 

In another bit of good news, despite the odds, I've finally setup the NF9C-2800 in a Fractal Design Node 202 case, using on-board USB coupled with a simple passive filter. On it's own this rig is decent but lacks clarity. So randomly I've decided to add a tweak to improve aesthetically. Surprisingly that tweak improved the clarity!  Huh A lot of things in audio makes absolute no sense to me, and this is one of them. Will blog about this eventually.

While not much have progressed for 1.1.0 (What can I say, it's a lot of work), the current version is about to get an update - 1.0.6. [Image: wow1.gif] This update will address some bugs/issues. The headline item for this release is experimental support for upmpdcli! Now here's another option for people who wants to use a Tidal subscription and likes to hear it from MPD. As with all options at the moment, this just do the subscription, in other words there's no MQA - you'd still need a MQA compatible DAC to get it's benefits.

Now I have two physical high quality playback machines (NF9C-2600 and NF9C-2800: one to experiment on, the other for auditioning). When I have more time on my hand, will begin experimenting with Wine and Windows Tidal for folks with non-MQA DACs Smile. If this work, the change will probably make it's way into the 1.0.x series.

just posted again about snakeoil on a small board in nz.
http://darklantern.proboards.com/thread/...ollTo=6992
[-] The following 1 user Likes rocl444's post:
  • agent_kith

(26-Aug-2017, 08:50 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(26-Aug-2017, 08:27 PM)m@jor Wrote: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...755#pid755
Already planned for 1.1.0, here. Thumbs Up.

Any more ideas? I'd add it to the todo list, and depend on the schedule, can either be in 1.1.0, or the next version (1.2.0). 

Hello, agent_kith!

Of course have! Add please the option including the player to download OS SnakeOil over the network from the server or from a router with a connected USB drive, then the player will be able to disable all SATA and USB ports in the BIOS. It will be very cool for sound.
[-] The following 1 user Likes polarlight's post:
  • agent_kith

(07-Nov-2017, 04:35 AM)polarlight Wrote: Of course have! Add please the option including the player to download OS SnakeOil over the network from the server or from a router with a connected USB drive, then the player will be able to disable all SATA and USB ports in the BIOS. It will be very cool for sound.

PXE booting. I have a video of that before:

It can already be done now actually.. Will see if I can write up a how-to to do this (don't think I have written anything on this yet).

Thank you, agent_kith! We will try.
[-] The following 1 user Likes polarlight's post:
  • agent_kith

Technology moves very quickly, it is real hard to keep up.  After a lot of consideration, thought and planning - decided to bite the bullet and move from ng2-admin to ngx-admin.

Here's a preview of the new BlindTesting web app. Ignore the two 'Dashboard' for now, that's intentional. Not a bad effort in 3 hours work. Hopefully can work on this more later this week.

[Image: ngx_preview.png]